HD Pack's Mesen

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

zevs_7

HD Pack's Mesen

Post by zevs_7 »

Hey. In this thread, I'll upload hd pack's and blanks for them, for the Mesen emulator. Preparations are done by HDPack Builder. More information about hd pack's and workouts here: https://www.mesen.ca/docs/hdpacks.html and also a subject where you can write to the author (Sour): https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13844. Please lay out your workmanship and your hd pack's too. And also please turn to the streamers with a request to do hd pack's.
Last edited by zevs_7 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
zevs_7

Re: HD Pack's Mesen

Post by zevs_7 »

hd pack's
Attachments
SuperMarioBros - MkWong98.rar
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 8813 times
Super Mario Bros - LyonHrt.rar
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 6873 times
Nuts & Milk - evgeny.rar
(439.12 KiB) Downloaded 3457 times
Kung Fu - MkWong98.rar
(828.89 KiB) Downloaded 4634 times
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

From ROMhacking.net:
CastlevaniaHdPack.zip
Castlevania by Kya, converted by Sour
(461.67 KiB) Downloaded 4807 times
Denine

Post by Denine »

I enjoyed Nuts & Milk skin, very nice to have this. Now all we need is remixed music :D
Do you plan to make more of these?
Sour

Post by Sour »

kya has made another CV pack at 2x resolution and with .ogg audio tracks - he's essentially waiting for me to release version 0.9.5 to release his work, since it requires some new HD pack features that aren't available in 0.9.4. There's also another person working on HD packs for Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2. And also this Megaman 1 pack by AxlRocks.

I think that's more or less all of the available and/or in-development HD packs at the moment.
Alp

Post by Alp »

Sour wrote:I think that's more or less all of the available and/or in-development HD packs at the moment.
I'm currently working on an HD pack for Hydlide, to test the viability of making more, later.

I'd like to create HD packs, for my hentai games! :P
zevs_7

Post by zevs_7 »

New version HD pack Castlevania:
https://yadi.sk/d/XXkso2kp3U7sjz?lang=en
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

Sour wrote:There's also another person working on HD packs for Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2.
Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2 HD packs by RichterSnipes are released:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index. ... ic=26164.0
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

I just finished one for Donkey Kong:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/5xgz6dr0 ... k.zip/file
Last edited by mkwong98 on Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
TBM

Post by TBM »

Anyone have an untouched fully complete SMB sprite set?
TBM

Post by TBM »

If nobody has one, how could I make one the way other people have? When I make it, it comes out like this:

But I saw one that looks like this:

In this one, everything is so much more organized than mine. How is that done?
Sour

Post by Sour »

The HD example you're showing is something that was made using HDNes, not Mesen.
As far as I know, the tiles in that picture are organized in a neat manner because someone organized them manually - there is no way to automatically generate something like that (unfortunately)
thefox

Post by thefox »

Sour wrote:there is no way to automatically generate something like that (unfortunately)
"No way" as in impossible, or as in "not implemented"?

It seems like something that could be done by looking at the connectedness of the hardware sprites at runtime (i.e., which ones appear next to others, and how often).
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Sour

Post by Sour »

thefox wrote:It seems like something that could be done by looking at the connectedness of the hardware sprites at runtime (i.e., which ones appear next to others, and how often).
When I initially implemented this, I spent a good amount of time at first trying to do exactly this, and the results weren't exactly great (some of the tiles would get properly connected, but then tiles that you wish were together would get separated for a number of reasons, etc.). A lot of the time, it just made more sense to use the CHR banks, since the games usually keep related tiles close to each other. There's no technical reason why it couldn't be done, though, I'm just not sure that getting good results would be worth the amount of time needed to code it.

Edit: Also, unrelated, but Aclectico just released a HD Pack for Metroid here: https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index. ... ic=26811.0
mkwong98

Post by mkwong98 »

Sour wrote:As far as I know, the tiles in that picture are organized in a neat manner because someone organized them manually
Yes, I organized them manually. I use the raw sprite sheet to see which tiles need work. Once I make the replacement for a group of connected tiles, I add the replacement to another sheet and remove the tiles from the raw sheet. So the tiles in the final sprite sheet are organized.
thefox wrote:It seems like something that could be done by looking at the connectedness of the hardware sprites at runtime (i.e., which ones appear next to others, and how often).
There are a few obstacles that I can think of:
1. The object is moving near the edge of the screen and some of the tiles may go outside the screen. 2. The same tile appears multiple times in several poses of the same object.
3. Tiles within the same object overlap each other (various characters in Double Dragons II)
4. Tiles within the same object are not fixed relative to each other (white dragon in Castlevania)
5. Two objects appears to be connected (Mario holding a shell in SMB3)
6. Objects using the background layer