nesst, import metasprite data in asm/c format possible?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: nesst, import metasprite data in asm/c format possible?

Post by rainwarrior »

tepples wrote:What Borland-specific libraries does it use, which would preclude building it with MinGW-w64 or the without charge edition of Visual Studio?
All the GUI layout is in some Borland specific file format. (i.e. half the program)

The Borland compiler is actually free, but you have to manually request it and get approval from some support representative to download it. (Takes a bit of waiting.)

There's probably some converter you could find out there to turn it from that borland format into something other compilers could use, but so far it hasn't been worth enough of my time to go down that hole and find out.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Rainwarrior was faster than me to answer about it. I wasn't aware that it was now free.

In the app, there is a lot of interesting tools for small tasks like nametable but the part that interest me the most is the meta sprite editor for my current task. Making a simple one in .net could be fast (or wait for the one that FrankenGraphics mentioned) but since I don't need to edit attributes I should just focus on importing my data. If Im successful creating the msb file then I will share my results.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Sorry for the double post. The information from thefox is accurate. I was able to take my C based data, make a quick c program and convert it to the format nesst expected.

Now that I can use my own data, I will start testing different origins and check how can I re-export to my current array format. I don't think you can name the metasprite so I could re-export them to the same array but I guess this is one compromise I will have to do.

I will check what I should do from now on based on the tool.

Thank you for the information, that will save me some time!