Asking for trouble using color $2D?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

gravelstudios

Asking for trouble using color $2D?

Post by gravelstudios » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:50 pm

In my current project, I'm using color $2D quite a bit. I find that I like it better for dark gray than $00, which I find too light most of the time. I know that the RGB PPU from the Playchoice machine will treat this color (as well as all $XD palette entries) as black. Is this going to be a problem for a large number of players? what do you think is the percentage of people with an RGB modded NES on which this color will not display properly?

lidnariq

Re: Asking for trouble using color $2D?

Post by lidnariq » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:30 pm

Color $2D should be fine. Not very many total 2C03s / 2C05s were made, and although a higher percentage of them (in the form of Vs. Systems, Playchoice-10s, Famicom TVs and Titlers) have probably made it to the current day than NESes and Famicoms, I think it's still going to be a small percentage.

I'd say that the loss of the color emphasis bits is a much bigger hit than the loss of color $2D ... and I'd still say it's not worth worrying about.

Dwedit

Post by Dwedit » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:41 pm

Just don't do naive fades that subtract $10 from the color value, and you won't end up writing $0D (blacker than black) to the palette.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

gravelstudios

Post by gravelstudios » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:56 am

Dwedit wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:41 pm
Just don't do naive fades that subtract $10 from the color value, and you won't end up writing $0D (blacker than black) to the palette.
My fade-out routine checks for $1D and $2D and changes them to $0F, so that's not an issue.

Thanks guys. I think I'll keep using the $XD entries and not worry about it.