CV2 hack graphics

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

*Spitfire_NES*

Re: CV2 hack graphics

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

I know im a little late to the party, but yea, id LOVE to play this Castlevania 2 hack. It looks simply amazing to me, and the music is top notch. I beleive across my internet travels i found and have the nsf for this hack. I can't remember how i even found it.

Edit** Yea i have the nsf for it. :)
launchpad

Post by launchpad »

Sorry for the necro bump...

I happened to see this on youtube while looking for optomon's awesome rendition of "Battle of the Holy". I did not upload this video and have no affiliation with whomever did. Just wanted to share to remind optomon and Thaddeus how appreciated their talents are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpS4XQ1_cHw

It's very cool to see their hack in action. The music, art, and style are simply incredible.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Very, very impressive use of pattern and attribute table layout/positioning to accomplish things like the high-quality forest backdrop. I actually had to pause the video several times and count colours + grid layouts to make sure it was authentic. For a romhack, this is technically very impressive (to me, anyway).
snarfblam

Post by snarfblam »

koitsu wrote:For a romhack, this is technically very impressive
The artwork is technically impressive, no doubt, but even if you ignore NES limitations, it's still absolutely beautiful.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

Is he going improve the sprites too? They kind've stick out like a sore thumb now. Maybe replace black on the sprites with a dark color.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

There's that dark blue with a green hint that could help the bat, maybe. But then again, look at all that magic already happening! :shock: I wonder how much got made?

IMO, the problem with cv2 is not how the enemies where sprited (ok, some looked weird), but that they never posed a threat, ever. The best route to go would probably be to implement a way to shortcut backtracking (map system, portals, something) so it wouldn't feel tedius if the challenge was spiced up a notch.

I think the origininal cv2 reuses simon's sprite palette a lot in the background (something i don't take any notice of in the video example of this hack). In cv3 those colours where more complementary to the background, though only shared with some other sprites.

==
Hi by the way, i'm Ellen and have lurked this forum for years. Just decided to join (and doodle assembly with very limited success).
*Spitfire_NES*

Post by *Spitfire_NES* »

wow, this was uploaded recently as well. I wonder if there is a playable demo floating around somewhere on the net? This hack looks amazing! 8-)
thefox

Post by thefox »

I believe the hack was cancelled a few years ago and never released in any form. I remember some screenshots of the forest going around on this forum in the past.

EDIT: It was this thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6004. However I now see that it was actually a link to a YouTube video (not the same one as above) that has been taken offline.

EDIT#2: Ehh, only now noticed the 2014 posts in this thread, which said pretty much the same thing.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Oh wow, mad props for resurrecting this two-year-old thread; this artwork is beyond incredible!

I describe the game I'm working on as a Castlevania II clone, and this artwork is truly inspiring.
Honestly I wish I could just take it and use it, but even if I had legal permission to do so, it would look so out of place compared to the rest of my art it would never work out.

I would go in to debt to pay this man to make my art for me.