Mockups of games from other platforms

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Gilbert

Re: Mockups of games from other platforms

Post by Gilbert »

@OneCrudeDude: I don't know about Recca and that Transformer game, and I don't own any of those modern platforms that offer such emulated games either. I could only tell what I've heard and cannot verify them. From what I heard, two popular games with this treatment are Ninja Ryukenden(the flashing when you die) and Zelda(when Link grabs an item).
tepples

Post by tepples »

rainwarrior wrote:People with the relevant condition usually know to avoid video games.
Not always. A lot of children remain undiagnosed until they try to play a video game for the first time and have a seizure. Console makers have started to impose restrictions on flashing because they don't want their respective brands to be associated with a child's first seizure.
Sik

Post by Sik »

rainwarrior wrote:On TVs that interlace 240p to 480i it would appear as stripes.
On those TVs anything you attempt will look like utter shit anyway =P
tepples wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:People with the relevant condition usually know to avoid video games.
Not always. A lot of children remain undiagnosed until they try to play a video game for the first time and have a seizure. Console makers have started to impose restrictions on flashing because they don't want their respective brands to be associated with a child's first seizure.
Yeah, but they still aren't exhaustive enough in practice =/ (e.g. strip patterns are known to be a common cause of seizures, yet they pass those tests like nothing was amiss)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Sik wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:On TVs that interlace 240p to 480i it would appear as stripes.
On those TVs anything you attempt will look like utter shit anyway =P
I was actually suggesting that the stripes would make a good halftone in that situation, not that it would look bad at all.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Just for information, what tool/programs did you guys use for creating mockups ? I think it can be interesting to make a mockup of games before they are actually coded.
How to be sure it respects the console's limitations without actually programming said console ?

So far all I have is background creators for NES, but still this requires designing an actual tileset and takes time, and is restricted on background-only images.
jayminer

Post by jayminer »

I did all my mockups with Shiru's NES Screen Tool
-----
slightly bored and severly confused...
DevEd

Post by DevEd »

Bump.

Decided to do a Shantae mockup:
BTW This is intended for MMC5.
You know, the DevSound guy.

There are two kinds of people in this world: those who are convinced there are two kinds of people in this world, and those who aren't. - Unknown
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Looks pretty good. I would really like to see a Shantae game on the NES. Not a 1:1 port, but an original adventure in the same style.
DevEd wrote:BTW This is intended for MMC5.
Why has everyone been so averse to the way NES graphics normally work lately?

Every art topic recently has been "hey, I like NES graphics, so here's a scene with a million tiles and 8x8 attributes, because MMC5".

On the other hand, official developers hardly scratched the surface of the MMC5's capabilities, so it would actually be nice to see a homebrew make good use of it.

Before someone mentions it, no, I don't consider Grand Theftendo (or whatever it was renamed to) a good example of MMC5 use, as its simplistic cartoon art doesn't do anything impressive with the colors, and if it weren't for the store signs you wouldn't even notice the MMC5.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

tokumaru wrote:Why has everyone been so averse to the way NES graphics normally work lately?Every art topic recently has been "hey, I like NES graphics, so here's a scene with a million tiles and 8x8 attributes, because MMC5".
Sorry? (Also, the status bar at the top of the screen looks impossible.)
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Espozo wrote:Sorry?
Yes, you did this recently, but there were others. Not that there's anything wrong with using the MMC5, but IMO you have to be making something really amazing to justify using this mapper, and not just be annoyed at 16x16 attributes.
(Also, the status bar at the top of the screen looks impossible.)
True, I didn't notice it was overlapping the clouds. You'd need over twice as many sprites as the NES can draw per scanline in order to have a status bar like that.
Sik

Post by Sik »

How would that HUD work? (although I don't see what's wrong with an opaque HUD, since the original did it and it had a smaller viewport, so it's not like it'd be a problem here)

EDIT: missed the last two posts >.>; (although I still would vote for an opaque HUD like in the original)
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I actually do think I got everything in 16x16 attributes though. I can always look and find out.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Espozo wrote:I actually do think I got everything in 16x16 attributes though.
But you did use a million tiles... =)
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

tokumaru wrote:
Espozo wrote:I actually do think I got everything in 16x16 attributes though.
But you did use a million tiles... =)
True... :oops: It'd probably look really trashy otherwise though. Literally the last thing I want to worry about on a 2D system is running out of tiles (maybe I shouldn't have picked the SNES...)
tepples

Post by tepples »

tokumaru wrote:
DevEd wrote:BTW This is intended for MMC5.
Why has everyone been so averse to the way NES graphics normally work lately?

Every art topic recently has been "hey, I like NES graphics, so here's a scene with a million tiles and 8x8 attributes, because MMC5".
Because Shantae is a Game Boy Color game, and Game Boy Color attributes are the size of MMC5 attributes.