It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:51 pm 

A while ago I made a crude mock-up demo of the Adventure game Loom(TM) on the Famicom:
which was based on this scene.

The ROM can be downloaded from my blog.

I actually had another test ROM on changing the palette mid-screen for the interface (so that the staff is brown instead of gray).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:00 pm 

In case you haven't seen it, here's Cookie Clicker.

Title screen. The part of the light blue stripes nearest the big cookie is made of sprites. Move the cursor with the controller or the Super NES Mouse. Click the cookie, get a cookie.

Click the cookie more to get more cookies. Once you have a few dozen, you can spend your cookies on things to click the cookie for you. Click the CPS at the top right to go to...

Spend cookies on things that make more cookies. (The colors here are cheated for illustration purposes; the ones not focused will be drawn in grayscale.) Click the CPS again for...

Make your buildings more efficient. Oh, there's a notification in the upper left. Click at the top left to return to the big cookie.

The big cookie after I buy a few cursors. These are animated by modifying four "cursor strip" tiles in CHR RAM.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:13 pm 

Zoop was ported to every platform in use at the time (PC, Super NES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Gear, Jaguar, Saturn, and PlayStation), but the NES was already obsolete by that time. This is what Zoop might have looked like on NES:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:25 pm 

Demonstration of why 4-player Dance Dance Revolution (as seen in DDR Ultramix) would be impractical, originally for this post.
Cutting it back to 2 players would be fine though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:27 pm 

There also isn't quite enough room for 4 DDR mats on a NES... although you could use two Track and Field pads for four players, specifying diagonals instead of LDUR.

You could try staggering the judgement/receptors such that none are on the same line (using all 64 sprites to do so). Then the future arrows become "just" split scroll of the background...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:41 am 

I'm back again, this time I tried making a graphical mockup of that Gatsby game.

I even went the extra mile and adjusted the colors to the NES palette, and have marked down the palettes I used. However, my mind started to draw blanks for the other palettes, since the game doesn't exactly follow the NES' limitations to the T. This is what it would actually look like on the NES, since the waiters are three tiles wide and Nick is two + one, so 12 sprites. 4 of them would have to be dropped off for at least a single frame, while another set of four would be dropped off for the very next frame. In a perfect world where flicker does not exist, this is what it would look like.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:03 am 

Wow, so many posts in such a short time! :) I'm really happy too see others adding their work to this thread!

Most of these mockups are really interesting, I especially like Cookie Clicker which I think looks great with it's variable width font and all (even though I had seen that one before).

Does anyone have any suggestion for a game I could do a mockup of next? I'm trying to find ones that aren't too "busy" and complicated, and that I think would look nice on the NES, but any suggestions are welcome :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:07 am 

OneCrudeDude wrote:
I'm back again, this time I tried making a graphical mockup of that Gatsby game.

I even went the extra mile and adjusted the colors to the NES palette, and have marked down the palettes I used. However, my mind started to draw blanks for the other palettes, since the game doesn't exactly follow the NES' limitations to the T. This is what it would actually look like on the NES, since the waiters are three tiles wide and Nick is two + one, so 12 sprites. 4 of them would have to be dropped off for at least a single frame, while another set of four would be dropped off for the very next frame. In a perfect world where flicker does not exist, this is what it would look like.

Couldn't the waiters be shrunk down to 2 tiles wide? It would perhaps look a little odd but with some clever redesign of the graphics I think it could look good enough. That would remove the flicker.

*edit* I did a very quick mockup of how I would imagine them looking if they were shrunk down. It's ugly and the proportions are bad but I hope it will get the idea across.

*edit2* Couldn't keep my hands away, did another quick update to the waiter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:24 am 

An easier way to prevent flicker would be to prevent a whole plethora of enemies being on screen at once; if you play the game, you will see that it likes to throw 5+ enemies in a given time, especially in a row. If you only had two waiters instead of three in a line, there'd be minimal flicker.

I also noticed that I could use color $22 as the main BG color, since the game's graphics seem to imply that. Later I might come up with a different, and hopefully more accurate mockup.

Edit: Here's the alternate version of the mockup I promised a few minutes back. While it looks more accurate, I am not a fan how how the columns have a lot of black, overpowering lines.

Question regarding the NES' NTSC and PAL video output. PAL regions can show 240 vertical pixels, while NTSC regions can show 224. Does that mean the NES automatically cuts off the uppermost and lowermost line of graphics for NTSC, or is it more complicated than that?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:13 pm 

I like to think that I'm evil.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

jayminer wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestion for a game I could do a mockup of next? I'm trying to find ones that aren't too "busy" and complicated, and that I think would look nice on the NES, but any suggestions are welcome :)

Either one probably would have been sprite-flickering hell, but I wonder if either Jail Break or Shao-lin's Road (both by Konami) would have looked good on NES.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:15 pm 

jayminer wrote:

Shovel Knight!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:20 pm 

Estlib wrote:
I like to think that I'm evil.

Somari 2! =)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:22 am 

Memblers wrote:
jayminer wrote:

Either one probably would have been sprite-flickering hell, but I wonder if either Jail Break or Shao-lin's Road (both by Konami) would have looked good on NES.

This is what I have come up with so far, not sure if I will do more work on this since it's mostly tedious things like the slopes on the ceilings left to do. But it would be interesting to add some sprites and see how it would look. I just did a screengrab with the picture I looked at showing aswell, for easier comparison.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:06 pm 

Memblers wrote:
jayminer wrote:

That's ironic you say that because Konami's later NES games didn't give two shits about flicker. Zen Intergalactic Ninja is the worst offender.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next