It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:40 pm 

Here's Shovel Knight, this could have been soo much better with some more work, I just did the background very quickly because I wanted some sort of background, and I didn't bother with the clouds at all so the entire background looks kinda bad. Anyway, here it is:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:45 pm 

I also finished the background for Shao-lin's Road:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:18 pm 

jayminer wrote:
Here's Shovel Knight, this could have been soo much better with some more work, I just did the background very quickly because I wanted some sort of background, and I didn't bother with the clouds at all so the entire background looks kinda bad. Anyway, here it is:

Pretty cool! Congratulations! =D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

jayminer wrote:
I also finished the background for Shao-lin's Road:

That's cool, I think yours even looks a little better than the original.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:33 pm 

jayminer wrote:

You -could- always overlays sprites on the Knight to make him look closer to the source game. It seems like the Knight was the only thing that was left over from the "let's make it look like an NES game as best as possible" phase of development. It'd be possible to recreate the game on the NES, you'd just need to re-arrange things (or remove them) to work. One of the boss fights has a bunch of random NPCs just sitting there, so maybe they could be removed.

Memblers wrote:

That's cool, I think yours even looks a little better than the original.

Even with it's flaws, I always thought the NES had a nice, vibrant palette.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:53 am 

OneCrudeDude wrote:
You -could- always overlays sprites on the Knight to make him look closer to the source game. It seems like the Knight was the only thing that was left over from the "let's make it look like an NES game as best as possible" phase of development. It'd be possible to recreate the game on the NES, you'd just need to re-arrange things (or remove them) to work. One of the boss fights has a bunch of random NPCs just sitting there, so maybe they could be removed.

Yes, the thing is, the knight-sprite is already 4 sprites wide at it's widest and overlaying even more to get more colors would waste almost all of the NES sprites on just the player, so I decided to try and scale down the sprite instead. I guess a low priority sprite could be used to color in the knights "belt" which would add a little more color, and then let that sprite disappear first if there are too many sprites on that scanline. If I recall correctly that's what they do with the eyes in SMB2.

If someone was to do an actual port of the game to NES hardware, I think everything would have to be shrunk down for better playability, or just live with it all being very flickery.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:41 am 

This isnt exactly a mockup of another game, but rather something different... its still a mockup of something though

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:33 am 

That looks cool, but there's way too much shading on the text. If there were only a lighter gray, I'd suggest using that, but since there isn't, maybe put a stronger bias towards the lighter shades. Otherwise, it's harder to read than it needs to be.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:44 am 

Like this?
Attachment:
weaponchoice1.png
weaponchoice1.png [ 808 Bytes | Viewed 1146 times ]

That and you need to get important info away from the picture edges so that the TV doesn't chop them off. Less text in the first place would be a good idea as well; the "TIME:" could be replaced with a clock as I started to do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:00 am 

modifications as per suggestions above
edit: added some background detailing

edit2: different shot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:26 pm 

@estlib: I really like the colors and style. What is it for?

@jayminer: The entire game would have to be re-designed to work optimally on the NES. Flicker is one of the hard limits of the NES, and there's only so much you can do to work around it. Maybe flicker could just be standard with the port, preferably the 'blink in and out of existence' kind like Recca's, not the 'temporarily not draw a sprite until it is out of the line' like Bubble Bobble's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:11 pm 

OneCrudeDude wrote:
@estlib: I really like the colors and style. What is it for?

Its the representation of a game idea i had a year or more back, but i am unable to make it because i lack the programming know-how needed for something like this. It was supposed to be kinda like the vectorman of NES.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:55 pm 

I can see that, it has a very unique style that's not seen in a lot of other NES games. Would black be the most prominent color, or will there be patterns in the background? While the black is overpowering, it also gives it a nice contrast to the other colors.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 am 

OneCrudeDude wrote:
I can see that, it has a very unique style that's not seen in a lot of other NES games. Would black be the most prominent color, or will there be patterns in the background? While the black is overpowering, it also gives it a nice contrast to the other colors.

yes, black is meant to be the main color of the game, but there will be background elements aswell, no specific patterns though. in these shots, they are panels & blocks (including their solid actual block counterparts). The game of contrast between colors & black is the entire artistic idea behind the game idea. there does exist a standing sprite of the "NES Vectorman" but its way too big for anything else to exist on the screen (see attachment).
Attachment:
nestorman.PNG
nestorman.PNG [ 1.17 KiB | Viewed 1071 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:21 am 

Estlib, your screenshot looks very interesting. I would like to play some platformer game with this style =)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next