Sprite re-animation request

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

8bitMicroGuy

Sprite re-animation request

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I drew a sprite of an otter. It came out cute without outlines so I wanted to finish without outlines. Sadly, NES has only 3 colors for a sprite so I had to make outlines from the inside. I did it by applying the outline color onto the first pixel looking from left to right of the samecolored bodypart as the one overlapping it.

Animating this will be a problem because of the bodyparts overlapping each other. I imported this into Paint.NET and turned things into layers and guess what? No outlines! I got no outlines! That's bad. Now I'm supposed to have each bodypart colored in a different color, animate the bodyparts, color them back into their initial colors, see the end of overlapping (mission impossible as it's all one color!), flatten and then insert into Fatilety.

Is someone willing to animate my sprite for me?
Here's the sprite in BMP and CHR format: https://www.dropbox.com/s/airllrhk99ju5 ... e.zip?dl=0

Warning: Don't start yet! I need to tell you info about the animations.

EDIT:
The picture is here:
Otter
Otter
Otter.png (643 Bytes) Viewed 7923 times
And the CHR-ROM file is here
20150309.nes
CHR-ROM file with the otter
(32.39 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Last edited by 8bitMicroGuy on Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Sprite re-animation request

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Why not post it as a picture also? I might help you then.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Because I don't think Dropbox can allow img tags from external sites.
tepples

Post by tepples »

You can attach PNG images to a post here.
Sik

Post by Sik »

Or you could upload to imgur and use img on that, I suppose.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymyivgljoi2mwof/Otter.png

I don't like using those services because they have the right to reuse my work and I don't like that.
tepples

Post by tepples »

In what way do services comparable to Imgur "have the right to reuse [your] work" beyond what's needed for presenting your work to the public in the manner that you specify? I'd like to see where you see that in the TOS.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Aren't you posting the picture here for people to reuse your work? What's with this imgur nonsense anyway? When you post a comment, just go under upload attachment, and click browse. Find the location of the picture on your computer, and press ok, and then press add the file.
DragonDePlatino

Post by DragonDePlatino »

Hey! That's a nice base design you've got there, but I can see how it would be hard to animate with so many limbs and a tail.

Might I suggest using ASEprite for your animation purposes? It's a fantastic pixel art program I've used for years, and it supports layered animation. And unlike Paint.NET, you can actually preview your animation, work in an indexed NES palette and have access to onion-skinning. You have to buy ASEprite to access all of it's features, but the older versions are provided for free and have all of the features I Just mentioned. And if you're not convinced, everything you see in my signature was drawn in the program.
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

Alright I edited the main post so now you can download directly. I forgot that this forum has the upload function.
Sik

Post by Sik »

8bitMicroGuy wrote:I don't like using those services because they have the right to reuse my work and I don't like that.
Pretty sure that the right they ask is for the ability to share the files to, you know, perform their main function (also dropbox does it as well, and in fact every single file sharing service - this is how copyright law works, they're legally required to ask for that right)
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

So people who couldn't open Dropbox, I updated the main post with the picture. What do you think?
DragonDePlatino

Post by DragonDePlatino »

8bitMicroGuy, have you tried drawing your character using the program I showed you? If you ask other people to do your animations for you, you won't learn to animate yourself. But if you do your best to animate your sprite, I'd be more than happy to offer some constructive criticism and tweaks.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
8bitMicroGuy

Post by 8bitMicroGuy »

I want to know how to make multiple bodyparts without confusing myself which one is which because it's all basically the same 2 colors overlapping each other and outlines just appear where they collide together. And I haven't tried. I didn't have time.
Alp

Post by Alp »

DragonDePlatino wrote:8bitMicroGuy, have you tried drawing your character using the program I showed you? If you ask other people to do your animations for you, you won't learn to animate yourself. But if you do your best to animate your sprite, I'd be more than happy to offer some constructive criticism and tweaks.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"
No. This advice is terrible. If somebody doesn't know how to animate, at least have the courtesy to give them a starting point! That's not teaching anything, yo!

As if taking one minute of your own time, is too much to ask for! >:V

Charming character you have! Here's a rough guideline showing how I'd animate him. The character's proportions were a bit strange, so I didn't really render anything out.

Here's a gif: