Graphics-hacking Aladdin (Hummer Team)

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Jedi QuestMaster

Re: Graphics-hacking Aladdin (Hummer Team)

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

OneCrudeDude wrote:The best way to feign a colorful image on a console like the NES is to use a lot of colors that stand apart from one another.
Castlevania II comes to mind as the perfect example to avoid. I wish I had side-by-side comparisons, but I recall the colors looking horrible on my NES but agreeable on emulators. (this game was a very unique experience for me, because I played through it both on hardware and on emulator when I was away from home, transferring the passwords)
OneCrudeDude wrote:I think the sky needs to be bluer to stand out better
Did you not see the hardware screenshot?
It looks perfect here.
mikejmoffitt wrote: I like the appearance of 0x16 as the backdrop with the brown outline. If you'd like me to test it on an RGB NES I'd be happy to.
Could you possibly test both? Here are the ips files:

07 16 27
07 16 27 (pink sprites)
07 17 27

I used the rom titled Aladdin (E) [p1][hM04], though Aladdin (Unl) [p1][hM04] should work as well. Then again, you might not have any problems applying it to the mapper 90 versions either.
tepples wrote:Yet when George Lucas tried finishing his own Star Wars original trilogy, fans female-dogged incessantly.
I feel that's because, at this point, George Lucas had too much control over his IP. Realize that the original trilogy was the work of many individuals with differing perceptions on how the films were to be. It may have been Lucas' brainchild; but he, alone, didn't make it come to life.
JRoatch
Formerly 43110

Post by JRoatch »

tepples wrote:..., fans female-dogged incessantly.
That took me longer then it should have to figure out if that meant a positive or negative reaction. It made sense once I understood that "female-dogged" was a literal replacement for a vulgar slang word with an added past participle. I think "whined" would of communicated better.

sorry, I know I'm off topic.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I hate to say it, but I actually prefer the original palette here... please excuse the moire artifacts from the camera on the monitor.

Original:

07 17 27 (second favorite for me):

07 16 27:

07 16 27 (pink sprites):

The dark teal sky / tarp cover I think is too dark. It is hard to tell from the photographs, but I think the first looks much better. I do like your sprite palette from 07 17 27, though, maybe if you used that with the original backdrop palette?

Also, a comparison of the NESRGB composite vs NESRGB's... well, RGB (the luminosity shift is a result of the adjustments being offset for one versus the other, that's not the point of the comparison):

Macbee

Post by Macbee »

After playing all these different versions I tried to make more tests. And from all these new tests I've had a winner.
I guess this is how stage 1 backgrounds and colors should be: http://www.mediafire.com/download/c5l43 ... ESTION.ips
Jedi QuestMaster

Lovely--after I begin ramping up a stride with this project, life kicks in. My entire weekend has been monopolized helping someone cram for a test. Not to mention it's election time, and I've yet to open my balloting mail. I may be taking a few weeks off from this project.
mikejmoffitt wrote: Original:

07 17 27 (second favorite for me):

07 16 27:

07 16 27 (pink sprites):

These images are further making it harder to judge. :? I like how the value 16 looks for the buildings, but, like you said, the blue may be a little too dark.
mikejmoffitt wrote: I do like your sprite palette from 07 17 27, though, maybe if you used that with the original backdrop palette?
Are you kidding me?

There wouldn't be any contrast. (except we'd change the outline of the sprites to red)
Macbee wrote:After playing all these different versions I tried to make more tests. And from all these new tests I've had a winner.
I guess this is how stage 1 backgrounds and colors should be: http://www.mediafire.com/download/c5l43 ... ESTION.ips
I agree with the red border for the sprites, but at this point I'm contemplating going with a lighter value for the skin tone.

ImageImageImage
Either way, I noticed some building tiles with an inconsistent palette.
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:I agree with the red border for the sprites, but at this point I'm contemplating going with a lighter value for the skin tone.
You're probably right. I'm not a big fan of NES' light colors (they're way too close to white) but maybe it's the choice for Aladdin's skin.
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:Either way, I noticed some building tiles with an inconsistent palette.
Yep. Maybe we can put some different tiles there (like windows or something).
And I converted a few graphics from Super NES. Above are the hummer team gfx. My suggestions below:
Jedi QuestMaster

Macbee wrote: You're probably right. I'm not a big fan of NES' light colors (they're way too close to white) but maybe it's the choice for Aladdin's skin.
I'm more concerned about Razoul's skin (at least I think that's supposed to be Razoul).
Macbee wrote: And I converted a few graphics from Super NES. Above are the hummer team gfx. My suggestions below:
Good work!

I'll put these in when I see fit; I think they may need to be copied over for every stage. (Also, I find it funny there's a turkey in there. :lol: This game has jar turkey.)
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

My suggestion for Game Over screen. Hummer (left), mine (right):

Edit: Now I want to change the first Game Over screen. This one:
But I simply can't find the address for these palettes.
Any help to locate them is welcome!
Jedi QuestMaster

Macbee wrote:My suggestion for Game Over screen. Hummer (left), mine (right):
Looks good; I hope you're keeping track of these changes, because I'm still only concerning myself with the player sprites right now.
Macbee wrote:Edit: Now I want to change the first Game Over screen. This one:
But I simply can't find the address for these palettes.
Any help to locate them is welcome!
That looks kinda dark. :? How does it compare with the SNES palette?

Anyway, here are the two previously hacked in sprites from, like, 2005:

I'm willing to rehack them in if you'd like to make any changes. I'm leaning toward leaving the pixel above his eye brown/red instead of black (and all the sprites should be consistent with this, I guess).
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote: Looks good; I hope you're keeping track of these changes, because I'm still only concerning myself with the player sprites right now.
Yes, I am. :)
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:That looks kinda dark. :? How does it compare with the SNES palette?
It's very dark indeed. I want to make colors (like blues from Genie's skin) lighter but I still can't find these palettes.
It's easy to change colors from the entire game *EXCEPT* palettes from this screen. It's driving me crazy...
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:Anyway, here are the two previously hacked in sprites from, like, 2005:
They look fantastic!
By the way I tried to insert my password mockups on the ROM and it worked:

I won't change the hands because they're much bigger on SNES.
I also changed colors for the icons of each character (your GFX are untouched because they're perfect IMO).
I believe it's easier to memorize passwords with these new colors but I can revert them if you don't like. Just a suggestion. :)
Jedi QuestMaster

Again, everything's looking good. I'd like to see how those tints look using different palettes.

(also, I don't know if you noticed but Jafar's face there has a duplicated tile. I fixed that already, though)

By the way, I've been busy with a bunch of things this holiday season. So I probably won't be able to continue this again until the next year.

So until next time!
modology

Post by modology »

Any updates on the hack? I hope that you guys still continue hacking this
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

modology wrote:Any updates on the hack? I hope that you guys still continue hacking this
I was never contacted to work on it again - so I guess the project is still dead, sorry.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

How about changing his belt from light red to dark red.