ANSI / ASCII Art

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Memblers
Site Admin

ANSI / ASCII Art

Post by Memblers »

So, I've been gradually working on a Windows program which, in short, is a remote server that communicates with the NES. I've wanted to make it with sort of a BBS/terminal interface, so I was happy when I found ANSICON. I wouldn't claim to be any kind of visual artist, but what follows is some cheesy stuff that was fun to make. I used PabloDraw.
Attachments
membind.png
tl-rom.png
tl-rom.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
nsf.png
nsf.png (2.02 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
midi.png
midi.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
screen.png
screen.png (8.09 KiB) Viewed 7424 times
ccovell

Re: ANSI / ASCII Art

Post by ccovell »

Cool stuff!

Let me guess, the board is Super Mario Bros. 2, right? :D
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Super Mario 2 would have all the gold fingers at the bottom...
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Cool, you could be a BIOS or OS Installer programmer (these are the last two applications of PC's text mode I can think off). Even the installers usually have full graphics mode now, as the size of the drivers for all existing types of displays/video cards is no longer a major trouble.

I think it looks really cool, I'd like to get a desktop environment that would use the PC's text mode... until you launch an application that really needs proper graphics, of course. Does anything like that exist ? There seems to be twin which does something like that, but it is not available as a packet for the major Linux distros.
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Nice stuff Memblers, brings me back almost 30 years. :-) Especially the GI Joe PSA one -- the shadowing makes me think of the DOS-based IDE for Borland stuff (Turbo Pascal, C, etc.), or the UI in things like Norton Disk Doctor.

I did some ANSI art for my high school (mainly the school-wide login screen used for our Netware network) back in the very early 90s, and the only semi-recent thing I have is an ASCII art I did in the early 2000s (and not much has changed in FPS games):

Code: Select all

+------------------------+
| FPS #5928299 EXPANSION |
|       o          /   \ |
|     `-+-'        : # : |
|.......|........ ____ ..|
|  .   / \ . .   (:\\:\ .|
| .  .  .  .  .   \:\\:\ |
|__   .  .  . .  . \:\\:\|
|  )  .    .   .    \:\\:|
|  78hp | 500rnd | M-GUN |
I have some random NES/SNES ANSI art (well, sort of -- it's mIRC scripted stuff, so it could be turned into ANSI escape sequences without much worK) laying around -- Kid Icarus, Mario, Gradius ships...
tepples

Post by tepples »

I made this drawing of an Arkanoid controller for the manual of a test ROM

,--------------------------------------.   |
            |                  %%                  |   |
            |   ,---.          %%                % |   |
            |  /     \         %%         ,-.   %% |   |
 Control  ->| |       |        %%        (   )  %% |<- Fire button
   knob     |  \     /         %%         `-'   %% |   |    
            |   `---'          %%                % |==/
Adjustment->|     ()           %%                  |
   screw    `--------------------------------------'
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

________________________ ________________    ___       _____________________
     /o----- - |--- - \ o-- - \\  \ o------- - \  /o- \     /o----- - |------- - /|
    //         |       \ \    ||   \ \          \//    \   //         |:        / |
   //   _______|  /\    \:    ||    \_________  /____   \ //   _______|:  _____/  /
  /     \___ |    ||:   |:    ||:    \ |  ___/ /    /o   V     \  __|_     __/__ /
  \      --o\|    ||:   |     ||:    | |  \o-  \   //     \     \ \o- \    -- - \
  |\        \\    \/o   |     \/o    / |   \\   \ //       \     \//   \         \
  | \         \        /|\          /  |\   \    \          \           \         \
   \ \_________\______/ | \________/___| \___\____\__________\___________\_________\
    \|         |      | | |        |   | |   |    |          |           |         |
     |_________|______|/ \|________|___|\|___|____|__________|___________|_________|
I made this demo-style logo for my PCE diskmag.
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

Dwedit wrote:Super Mario 2 would have all the gold fingers at the bottom...
Ironically enough, the only version of SMB2 that has all the pins is the one that inexplicably lacks the Nintendo seal of quality. Apparently that version is (or was due to the efforts of INLROM) useful for making reproductions of FF3.
TmEE

Post by TmEE »

I made this a while ago :