Tile set for Alisha's Adventure

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

psycopathicteen

Tile set for Alisha's Adventure

Post by psycopathicteen »

I want to work on the tile set for Alisha's Adventure. I'm planning on 8 levels, each with a different tile set, but can include shared tiles. To make it less intimidating, I'm going to start with only 64 16x16 tiles, and maybe only use 3 designated palettes, leaving 3 more palettes for BG2, and the last 2 palettes for BG3.

Possible level themes:

Level 1: City and Grassland
Level 2: Graveyard and Castle
Level 3: Pirate Ship
Level 4: Downtown City
Level 5: Rail Road
Level 6: Desert and Pyramid
Level 7: Ghost Ship
Level 8: Secret Base

Possible things to add to level 1 tile set:

Lava
Fence
Palm Trees
Iron Construction Bars
Attachments
platform place holder.png
platform place holder.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 8738 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Re: Tile set for Alisha's Adventure

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Are you saying you want people to help you? I can probably do that...

When you mean "iron construction bars", do you mean like large red girders, like on Donkey Kong? Also, why have the palettes be so strict? You could have it to where BG 1 and 2 share 6-7 palettes, and BG 3 uses the remaining 1-2.
psycopathicteen

The blue tiles are for the ceiling of an underground tunnel.
Attachments
platform place holder.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 8661 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

That seems like a waste of a palette... Chances are, the grass won't even touch the tunnel edges.

Anyway, I made some lava if you want to use it.
lava.png
lava.png (3.25 KiB) Viewed 8647 times
psycopathicteen

I darkened the blue ceiling to make it look more shadowing because it is underneath dirt. I adjust your colors to make it look a little more uniform with my colors, and added some boiling bubbles.
Attachments
platform place holder.png (4.83 KiB) Viewed 8556 times
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

No joke, the lava looks awesome. (I forgot how you didn't like using the color white, although I've grown fond of it.) I didn't know how to draw lava that was being viewed from straight on, only from a slightly overhead view like the lava themed levels in DKC2. I do think the little black dots in the lava look a little odd though. (It looks like some sort of weird dithering when reducing the colors in a picture.) Are they also supposed to be bubbles? Another thing my OCD self noticed which was actually after I made the original lava is that the lava might be lowered down some, because the lava actually is above where the grass ends, and looking at it, it looks a bit funky to me. I'd lower it down about 5 pixels, but wait, won't this just mess with collision then? I hope the lava bubbles are going to be animated. One last little thing to take into consideration is that you can always use the same color for something else, like the the pure red in the lava could also be a color used in a girder. It kind of gives the illusion that there are more colors then there really are.
tepples

Post by tepples »

How doesn't the lava warm the rest of the room? Or is it not really lava but instead boiling Kool-Aid?
Sik

Post by Sik »

How are we sure the lava would be used in the same place as the grass tiles, anyway?
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I'm pretty sure lava isn't supposed to have bubbles or be translucent, but it looks pretty cool. I always found it strange how DKC2, there is actually normal looking lava in the lava themed levels, but in the ship hold level Lava Lagoon, it looks like boiling Kool-Aid. (Has anyone ever actually sat down and thought about the name Kool-Aid? Is it meant to cure kids of un"kool"ness?) They could have at least disabled transparency and the bubbles, but that could potentially mess with the gameplay in the level in that you couldn't see through the lava if you had an invincibility or something. Wait, why am I talking about how realistic the lava is in a game where seals can spit ice cubes into water to turn it into lava?
psycopathicteen

No, I thing Kool-Aid is supposed to cure kids of aids.

DKC2 had a really cool 3D water effect. They probably used 8 HDMA channels for that.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

psycopathicteen wrote:I thing Kool-Aid is supposed to cure kids of aids
Wouldn't that be Aids-Aid?
psycopathicteen wrote:DKC2 had a really cool 3D water effect. They probably used 8 HDMA channels for that.
Not just for the water. The background also uses raster effects to make it appear that it's popping out, and it's pretty convincing.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Espozo wrote:
psycopathicteen wrote:I thing Kool-Aid is supposed to cure kids of aids
Wouldn't that be Aids-Aid?
That or AYDS diet candy.
psycopathicteen

Some improvement on my boiling kool-aid lava.

BTW, why do colors appear slightly different when I copy and paste the image over the original file in MS paint? Dark purplish brown comes out as dark brownish purple.
Attachments
platform place holder.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 8421 times
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

psycopathicteen wrote:BTW, why do colors appear slightly different when I copy and paste the image over the original file in MS paint?
Does the original file use indexed colors (as opposed to 24-bit true color)? If that's the case, MS Paint might be converting the colors so they match what's available in the pallete.
psycopathicteen

It has the original colors in MS paint. just not when I copy it from nesdev onto MS paint.