It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:14 pm 

Myask wrote:
dougeff wrote:
I noticed on the Wikipedia page of 'list of video game console palettes' it says they can't show an example of their colorful parrot with the NES palette, due to system constraints...that sounds like a challenge to me. :wink:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... e_palettes

Like a challenge you've issued, in fact.

Like a challenge he would issue, actually, as you've quoted a post from July of 2015 and linked to one from seven months later.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:53 pm 

I decided to give this concept a shot. The .pal files in the attached zip were generated using a CIEDE2000 color difference algorithm that compared Nestopia's YUV palette against palettes that I found in other emulators, on Wikipedia and other web sites. The monochrome palettes were generated by comparing normalized luminance components. The zip includes palettes for the following systems: Apple II, Atari 2600, CGA 1, CGA 2, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, Game Boy, Grayscale, Intellivision, Master System, Monochrome Amber, Monochrome Green, MSX and Tandy.

Attachments:
palettes.zip [2.7 KiB]
Downloaded 60 times

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:51 am 
Formerly AlienX

This technical approach is very interesting. In some cases the results are spectacular (Castlevania with the C64 palette, for instance)! In other cases, it's a bit disappointing (In Metroid, Samus is completely yellow with the Apple II palette). The good thing is that the color ramps could be more accurate in terms of lightness. The downside is that some of the color replacements simply don't work. But anyway, this is very cool! :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:00 am 

BioMechanical Dude wrote:
This technical approach is very interesting. In some cases the results are spectacular (Castlevania with the C64 palette, for instance)! In other cases, it's a bit disappointing (In Metroid, Samus is completely yellow with the Apple II palette). The good thing is that the color ramps could be more accurate in terms of lightness. The downside is that some of the color replacements simply don't work. But anyway, this is very cool! :D

I noticed similar issues with the algorithm, especially with the Tandy palette (EGA) since it does not contain unsaturated colors. The algorithm could be modified to optimize colors over a set of player sprites. I.e., given a large set of sprites, it could find the optimal colors that retain all their looks. And, after that, it would optimize the remaining colors.