It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:42 am 

darryl.revok wrote:
Any thoughts on how other people have tackled this issue? Are CHR bank swaps often placed in NMI to avoid complications?

If you want the same CHR bank to be used to render the entire frame, NMI is the only time you should bankswitch.

The only reason you should ever bankswitch CHR anywhere else is if you want it to change on a particular scanline.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:48 pm 

Thank you for the response. I set it up to have 6 variables for bank numbers of the 6 CHR windows, and I just swap them in each NMI indiscriminately. Is that pretty typical?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:12 pm 

That sounds fine to me. It's probably what I'd do.

I don't think there is a "typical". Every game has different needs, and I think a lot of games tend to have some of the CHR banks basically stay the same all game, or only change at menu screens and stuff like that. Just do what seems to work well for what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:48 pm 

I designed a second character, just curious to see what you guys think. He doesn't honestly have a specific role in the game yet. I don't know who he'll be at this time. I started out trying to draw some of the characters I have planned, and wasn't crazy about the results, but this guy just kind of came out in the process.

The animation surely has a few flaws. Namely he size of his sword isn't consistent. I think my main character has this problem here and there as well, but I feel like this is something that needs to be addressed at the time I start fitting everything into 8x8 tiles.

Attachments:
Attack1.gif
Attack1.gif [ 2.36 KiB | Viewed 727 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:01 pm 

I'm not even going to lie, but I think that's a pretty large step backwards from what you've made in terms of quality. I can't exactly put my finger on the problem, but something is just off... It just looks more dull, kind of disproportioned, and jerky, not saying the animation isn't smooth, it's just that it's like their body is being held in place and there limbs are moving off of it, as if you where in zero gravity. I know you where just kind of fooling around though, so maybe I'm being a little harsh... I still think your other character looks excellent though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:32 pm 

darryl.revok wrote:
I designed a second character, just curious to see what you guys think.

I think it looks nice, but it certainly doesn't belong in the same game as the girl you made before. The girl is drawn in classic SD style, she's chubby and has a very detailed head. This guy is completely different, he doesn't have a face, the proportions are far from the typical SD, even though he still looks deformed in other ways (short legs, normal torso). The styles don't match a all, and would clash horribly if used together, IMO.

Quote:
Namely he size of his sword isn't consistent. I think my main character has this problem here and there as well, but I feel like this is something that needs to be addressed at the time I start fitting everything into 8x8 tiles.

One important thing to consider when making the sizes consistent is the pixel aspect ratio of the console. The NES doesn't have square pixels, so an object that's 8 pixels wide should not be 8 pixels tall when rotated 90 degrees. The NTSC NES has a PAR of 8:7, so everything looks 1.1428571 times wider. This means that an object that's 8 pixels wide will appear to be 9.14 pixels wide, so when you draw it rotated by 90 degrees you should make it 9 pixels tall.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:30 pm 

Well, I sort of tried to make something that matches the original style. I didn't even attempt the head, because I had no clue as to how it was supposed to look. I kind of changed the armor because I thought it looked kind of funny in spots, like how small it is for the tops of the legs.

Attachment:
Sprite.png
Sprite.png [ 304 Bytes | Viewed 697 times ]

A little piece of advice: Don't use dark blue as a darker shade for skin color. The gray works much better, because tan and blue might as well be opposites. I found it a little strange you used blue for the sword, but not gray...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:00 pm 

Yeeeah... I suppose the proportions don't match my main character. It actually feels like it's going to be pretty limiting to keep every character in adherence to a certain aesthetic. I tried to do a few like that first, based on my main character, and I definitely wasn't crazy with what I came up with. I'll just have to give it another shot after a while.

Thank you for the honest feedback!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:03 pm 

If your main character is a petit girl, there no way you'll be able to fit a tall guy in the same amount of tiles and have them look good together. The guy will need to use more sprites.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:24 pm 

darryl.revok wrote:
Yeeeah... I suppose the proportions don't match my main character. It actually feels like it's going to be pretty limiting to keep every character in adherence to a certain aesthetic.

If it makes you feel better, I really like the art design of the main character. With resolutions and color depths as low as this, more "cartoony" like graphics often work best.

darryl.revok wrote:
I tried to do a few like that first, based on my main character, and I definitely wasn't crazy with what I came up with.

Did you not like what I did? :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:40 pm 

Yeah, I think I have one extra pixel for height by removing the ponytail, but that's all.

Probably the hardest part is making a bad guy with the same style head that doesn't look "cute".

Quote:
If it makes you feel better, I really like the art design of the main character.

Thank you, but I don't feel bad. It wouldn't be much help if you said you liked everything whether you actually did or not. :)

Quote:
Did you not like what I did?

It's pretty good. I think I can work with it. The new stance doesn't convey the arrogance that his old one did but I can change that.

Here's one of the newer animations for my main character. This is damaged/recover, and damaged/dead.

Attachments:
DamagedDead.gif
DamagedDead.gif [ 4.08 KiB | Viewed 630 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:02 pm 

darryl.revok wrote:
Here's one of the newer animations for my main character. This is damaged/recover, and damaged/dead.

Cool, it looks like she's bleeding! :twisted:

BTW, I'm sure SD characters can be drawn to look mean... I can't think of any references now, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:11 pm 

Quote:

Play with swords too long and somebody's gonna get cut!

I thought about it for a bit, and being free of the censorship of NOA, I do think I'm going to put a little bit of blood in my game. More like Princess Mononoke than Ninja Scroll, but some nonetheless.

The biggest implementation of this that I have a plan for is cutting off heads. I'm thinking, that if the final blow is on the top 1/4 of an enemy's hitbox, and you deliver enough damage past the point to kill them, play a decapitated death animation and spawn a cosmetic object without collision detection of a spinning head flying up and then off the screen. I don't know if this sounds gory but I'm actually picturing more funny or fun. Like, you've got a hoard of ninjas jumping at you from the left and right and you're lobbing heads off as they come.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:22 pm 

darryl.revok wrote:

It looks good. I think the speed at which she falls could be increased though, or something.

tokumaru wrote:

Now we need gibs! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:15 pm 

I played with your edit a bit, Espozo. I don't feel like I entirely converted the character of the original design, so he's like a somewhat different guy now in my opinion. The first guy I think is a bit more smug and casual than what the character ended up being. One of the weird parts is that the thing over the top of his chest in the first sketch is supposed to be like a cloak of sorts. I feel like it conveys okay except for the fact that gray is metal on other parts of the body, which is confusing. So, I just made the chest part metal and gave him a collar underneath it. I'm not sure how I feel about the gray outline for his skin and his sword though. It makes him not stand out as boldly as the main character.

I dunno. I'm not super set on having him as a character, but he's an option.

Attachments:
character-lineup.png
character-lineup.png [ 1.49 KiB | Viewed 597 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next