Pixel artist looking for partner

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Zolionline

Re: Pixel artist looking for partner

Post by Zolionline »

Merry Christmas everybody! :)

Here's a small project, maybe someone would like it and may join as a programmer - at least I hope so :)
dwarfmockup.png
dwarfmockup.png (9.89 KiB) Viewed 16922 times
The game is about a dwarf thief who collects gold and treasure to buy back his souls from some faeries. He goes through dungeons, trying to avoid monsters and traps. The gameplay is simple, Mario-like platforming with minor item usage. The background may be a bit too detailed, I want(ed) a more simple style, but I want to make a darker theme, so there's place for other's imagination.
If someone would like to join, let's talk about it here, or in pm.
za909

Post by za909 »

Hey! Those graphics remind me a bit of the later Sunsoft games with the darker tone.
I'm always up for doing music and sound effects but that's not a particularly unique skill around here... and it also depends on how big this project would be. If it's a small NROM game, you should not expect to get a very advanced soundtrack. If there's at least one 8kB or 16kB bank available for sound alone then yes.
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

For music, I wanted to ask you anyway :) But first we need a game :)
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

I know I'm late, but that mockup looks excellent. I hope you found a programmer, because I want to play it already.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Paid or unpaid?

Have you started making a set of animations for the main character?
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

To Rahsennor: Thanks! :)

To tepples: It's unpaid. I do it because I like this and I want to cooperate with somebody who feels the same way. It's a hobby. To the other question: yes, I made all the animations for the main character (that I thought it would fit to the game). I could add others but I want to talk about that with a partner, because any other things are extra, like hanging on hooks or some story based animations.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

One of the best tilesets I've seen posted here. I hope to see this project come to life!

Not to mention, the story premise I think sounds perfect for an NES game. Simple, to the point and understandable with a little bit of edginess and honestly not particularly cliche at all. (I feel cliche is sometimes almost impossible to avoid with retro games)

The character is really small. Could I venture to guess he uses this to his advantage in his explorations?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

unpaid
Don't sell yourself short. A game of this quality (with the right team) could definitely make some money. If you're going to put a year+ of work into it, why not try to make a cartridge release when it's completed? You could set up a profit sharing agreement with your team.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

@dougeff: I'm not saying I wouldn't like to make a real cartridge, and some profit after that. That's the goal, and yes I would make a profit-share agreement, if that suits my teammates. But in my read, the question was: am I looking for a paid "cooworker" or not. And of course, I won't pay anybody. I'm not even capable of doing so, knowing the programmers' fee in my country - and I think that'd count as cheap in other countries.
za909

Post by za909 »

That's the same reason why I never confronted anyone when I got to a dead end with my first project... as I couldn't make any decent graphics on my own and there was no certainity of me being able to finish everything and paying the pixel artist... So now if I ever get to be the sound designer somewhere I either want the $ in advance, or I'm fine getting an agreed % of the profit at the end (which wouldn't have to be that high, after all, sound design is a very easy part of the process) if I see that the project is actually going somewhere and isn't one of those "fangames" that die at best, after a few months in.
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

After a year I got some experience in making art for NES. I still work on a serious project, but I collected many ideas for a more lighthearted one. If someone need it, I offer my help again. I have my own ideas but I could work with somebody who want to do something specific. I'm open to some "piracy", for example I'd really love to make something for the Mario universe, for example a real Mario RPG for NES. If you see some potency in this, let's talk about it. One thing you have to know: as programmers do their things very differently, have some patience to explain me, what do you expect from me (especially for technical things, like file formats and like).
Attachments
example.png
example.png (7.69 KiB) Viewed 15704 times
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

I'd probably take you up on that offer if I were working seriously enough on my project; your art is great!

Perhaps some other time when I can work reliably enough to bring others on to my project.
BTW, the link to your Deviant Art account seems to be broken.
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

@Marscaleb: I deleted my DeviantArt profile, and I forgot to change it here. Now the link leads to my PixelJoint gallery. It's not so big and well built like the DA was, but more than nothing. Anyway, when you feel ready for some game making, let's get in contact! :)
Zolionline

Post by Zolionline »

It's a me again :P

So, months have passed and it seems my original project is cancelled. As it seems cooperating only for hobby purposes doesn't going to work. But I really would like to make a game for the system with a real cartridge. So I decided to try it again (and I think last time) with some material motivation. I don't know if there is somebody who's willing to work like this, but I can offer money in exchange of the programmer's work. We can even write a contract. (Although I know that this won't be cheap, please consider that my second name isn't Rockefeller.) I'm open to discussion, please write me a private message if you are interested.

Long story short: I need a programmer. I can handle the design works from writing a design document to the real graphics. (I'm also open to ideas and critique, but that's an other question.) The first base is a game that works on a NES emulator, the second is a material copy (cartridge) of the game what works on a real console.

[CASE CLOSED]
I found someone, thanks for your letters! I really hope it will work out!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

For once, i'm glad a spambot bumps a thread, because this artwork is amazing. :beer: