Best way to paste graphics into YY-CHR?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

NeverCameBack

Best way to paste graphics into YY-CHR?

Post by NeverCameBack »

There has to be a better way than what I'm doing.
Currently it is:

- Find a picture on google
- Use snipping tool on it
- Copy and paste it into GIMP
- image -> crop to content
- image -> mode -> indexed (to turn it into 4 colors automatically)
- image -> scale it to 32x32 pixels
- Zoom way out so the image is really small
- Use snipping tool again to copy and paste it into YY-CHR.

If I'm lucky it mostly fills the 32x32 pixel area that I'm aiming for.
The colors often need to be manually adjusted in YY-CHR.

I've used graphics gale years ago and forget if it's more useful to accomplish the above.
Do you know what I mean or what I'm trying to accomplish here? Was wondering if anyone has a better method.
Attachments
YY_CHR Busts.PNG
Individualised

Re: Best way to paste graphics into YY-CHR?

Post by Individualised »

Why are you screenshotting GIMP instead of just using the clipboard?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Use an image editor designed for use with indexed color modes (like 256 colors with editable palette) YY-CHR will use the color indexes specified in the image when pasting into the program.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
NeverCameBack

Post by NeverCameBack »

Individualised wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:02 am Why are you screenshotting GIMP instead of just using the clipboard?
Good call on that - I didn't realize I could cntr+c directly from GIMP. That solves one issue.

Dwedit wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:30 pm Use an image editor designed for use with indexed color modes (like 256 colors with editable palette) YY-CHR will use the color indexes specified in the image when pasting into the program.
I started using NAW (NES Assets Workshop) - as of now I think it beats out YY-CHR (you can import a copied image directly into it (no GIMP pre-doctoring needed), and it seems to do a decent job of auto coloring it and scaling it. I'll be sure to send a donation (to pay for it) if it proves to be useful for me. It looks promising so far.
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

I feel your pain, man!

But a few years ago, I found the solution to paste images into YY without spending a long time correcting them (I was almost going crazy with how the images looked when pasted).

The secret is to use the program IrfanView before pasting the image into YY-CHR.

===================================

Here's what I do:

1- Open the image in IrfanView and choose "decrease color depth."

2- Select the "Custom" option and set it to 4 colors (you can choose between 2 and 256).

3- If the image has many colors, it will be adapted to a palette of only 4 colors. But if the image is already optimized for NES, you won't even notice the differences (though in practice, it has been altered and is ready to be pasted into YY). Select "Edit" and then "Copy" from the IrfanView menu.

4- Open YY and paste the image there.
You'll see that an image with four colors has been imported without the nonsensical modifications and fewer colors that used to happen before.

5- Now, just adjust the palette, and you're good to go!

===================================

Conclusion:
YY-CHR will only paste images correctly if they're 4 bpp.
8 bpp images (even if they have only 4 colors) will always result in a mess when pasted.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Why is your YY-CHR in broken Japanese? (code page 932 reinterpreted as 1252) There have been English versions of the program for a long time.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Macbee

Post by Macbee »

Dwedit wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:47 pm Why is your YY-CHR in broken Japanese? (code page 932 reinterpreted as 1252) There have been English versions of the program for a long time.
I was using a PC that wasn't mine.
So I quickly installed YY and IrfanView, just to capture the screens and post them here.