NES games with the best animation

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

psycopathicteen

Re: NES games with the best animation

Post by psycopathicteen »

@ Espozo

Every object has two copies of the frame number. One "input" frame number and one "output" frame number. The character's AI routine determines the input frame, then the animation engine decides weather or not it can update the output frame, and then the OAM building routine draws the output frame.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

So it's like one has the previous frame, and one has what is supposed to be the current frame?
psycopathicteen

Pretty much.

I think I have an easy way around the collision box problem. For the player-enemy collision, I cheated a bit and used point-box collision, to make collision more forgiving. I could just have a collision point variable, so I can just move the collision point.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

R-Type 1-3 actually use a single point for the ship's hitbox. Despite how hard these games can be, they're actually pretty forgiving in a couple of aspects like this. I don't know why I felt like sharing that.

Anyway, I'm just curious, but is the player have its own designated spot in the object table so it's easy to look for? For collisions, I just thought of having the position of the player being one point, and have the hitbox have a separate position relative to the player coordinates. That way, if you crouch, the coordinates for the player don't have to move, only the hitbox. This is important because if you where crouching and then decided to jump, the player would start out partially through the floor, and could lead to you clipping through it.
psycopathicteen

Ideally the hitbox should be separate from the objects coordinates. I just did it an easy way that seemed good enough at the time.