Concepts and stuffs revealed

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Raccoon

Re: Concepts and stuffs revealed

Post by Raccoon »

Oh yep this is it : Very Interesting, thanks !
I've found it in google, but I was afraid "tit" would means something else.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Here's how you could keep it E-rated: You could call this bird a "long-tailed mesange" in-game. Then use the excuse that in the game world, speakers borrowed the word "mesange" from French, much as English borrowed other French words such as "derriere" (butt), "au naturel" (naked), "brassiere" (tit sling), and "loo" (crapper, from l'eau).
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The picture ("mesange bleue") is a "blue tit" in English.

In the US, the corresponding species are known as "chickadee"s
Raccoon

Post by Raccoon »

tepple : much as English borrowed other French words
Oh, it's true, I was amazed to hear from brazillians things like c'est la vieFr, or from koreans and a lot of others country the word VoilàFr.
tepple : You could call this bird a "long-tailed mesange" in-game.
I think I will go with that, I've also wondering how to translate this species La Mésange CharbonnièreFr which is this exact one :
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mésange_charbonnière

Here in France, seeing this species is relatively uncommon, but we could hear them in winter, every time it happens it reminds the feel of the cold winter : it's also an indication the weather temperature would probably fall a little more.
lidnariq : In the US, the corresponding species are known as "chickadee"s
Ho, chickadeesUk sound good, I also like it ;)

Edit :
So after all, I've found in french all the species of Mesanges, and it seems I get confused between the blue tit and la mésange charbonnièreFr
Last edited by Raccoon on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adam_smasher

Post by adam_smasher »

Native English speakers...tend not to immediately associate the word "tit" with birds (same with "cock" or "booby"). Chickadee would be much better.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

The Mésange charbonnière is a "Great Tit".

Unfortunately, none of the (US) chickadees are as showy as the Great Tit or Blue Tit.
adam_smasher wrote:Native English speakers...tend not to immediately associate the word "tit" with birds
I am told that Brits (and other non-US english-speaking places with Tits) aren't as easily titillated.