A more accurate NES palette?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: A more accurate NES palette?

Post by rainwarrior » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:04 pm

I used my capture devices to create a couple of full palette dumps, which I posted in my palette test ROM thread:
https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php ... 39#p233739

Firebrandx

Re: A more accurate NES palette?

Post by Firebrandx » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:57 am

Kizul Emeraldfire wrote: I just wish that I could get $0D to be negative black instead of just "pure black": it just doesn't look dark enough on my TV in emulators. On actual hardware, it's like my TV's just completely skips over dots colored with $0D (they're literally pure black, with not a hint of light), but in RetroArch on my Wii there's still just a bit of light being shone on those dots.
Unfortunately I fell into the trap of trying to "reinvent the wheel" thanks to poor Googling search terms, only to find after I did some PVM tests that all the correct black level information is on the NTSC Video page for NES DEV Wiki.

At any rate, not sure if you've noticed, but even 0D is affected by emphasis bits. I had to crank the brightness way up on my PVM to show that 0D was indeed being hue-shifted with emphasis, and indeed it gets even darker with all three bits active. So not only do you have 0D being "blacker than black", but with emphasis bits active, it becomes "Vantablack". With all that being the case, properly centered brightness and contrast calibration on a PVM doesn't reveal any of these entries to have anything but a flat black color. For Bee 52, you have to turn the brightness up beyond centered in order to see the tree trunks and grass highlights on nighttime stages. So to conclude, there's actually nothing wrong with NTSC palettes making all those black entries simply 0-0-0 because that's how they appear on a properly calibrated and center-dialed CRT monitor.