NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet !

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

surt
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 am

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by surt » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:27 pm

For PNG export I meant the entire map (all screens) as a single PNG.
So it's easy to show off your work on the web.
eg. Something like this.

User avatar
retrodaddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by retrodaddy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:59 am

surt wrote:For PNG export I meant the entire map (all screens) as a single PNG.
So it's easy to show off your work on the web.
eg. Something like this.
Before I was thinking it will be a problem to export a big map.
But now set maximum export size to 32x32 screen = 8192x7680 pixels,it's possible to do that,
So this is a quick update and first update this year:
Update04:version 0.1b Add function to export entire map to one png file.
NiGo-CHR : a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet :http://retrodaddy.itch.io/nigo-chr ---------- Website:http://retrodaddy.itch.io/ or http://retro77daddy.tumblr.com/

surt
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 am

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by surt » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:26 am

Ideally it would just use the bounds of the non-empty screens rather than a fixed size.

Also would it be possible to add an option to turn off pixel grid when zoomed in.

Is there a reason why changing any colour in palette 0 with right click on global palette also changes background colour?

When selecting, copying and pasting pixels/tiles how do you actually commit it to the map? I can float the selection and position it, but nothing I've tried seems to drop it into the map.

User avatar
retrodaddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by retrodaddy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:36 am

surt wrote:Ideally it would just use the bounds of the non-empty screens rather than a fixed size.
Yes that's the way it works now.
surt wrote:Also would it be possible to add an option to turn off pixel grid when zoomed in.
Will be in version v0.1c.
surt wrote:Is there a reason why changing any colour in palette 0 with right click on global palette also changes background colour?
It's a bug and it has been fixed in version v0.1c.
surt wrote:When selecting, copying and pasting pixels/tiles how do you actually commit it to the map? I can float the selection and position it, but nothing I've tried seems to drop it into the map.
Press 'enter' on keyboard to commit, sorry for lack of manual...
NiGo-CHR : a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet :http://retrodaddy.itch.io/nigo-chr ---------- Website:http://retrodaddy.itch.io/ or http://retro77daddy.tumblr.com/

User avatar
retrodaddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by retrodaddy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:18 am

Update05:version 0.1c​
1.Fix the bug: right click on color palette change all color 0 when color1 is active.
2.Added an option to disable pixel grid drawing.
NiGo-CHR : a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet :http://retrodaddy.itch.io/nigo-chr ---------- Website:http://retrodaddy.itch.io/ or http://retro77daddy.tumblr.com/

surt
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 am

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by surt » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:24 pm

retrodaddy wrote:
surt wrote:Ideally it would just use the bounds of the non-empty screens rather than a fixed size.
Yes that's the way it works now.
Actually it seems the problem is that it always expands the bounds to include screen 0,0 even if it is empty.

Tried using in linux but the tiles all just render as solid yellow (screenshot), both in canvas and tileset view.
Same result under native love and running the windows executable version in wine.
Using Xubuntu 15.10 with Radeon 7850 and open source ati driver.

User avatar
retrodaddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by retrodaddy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:25 am

surt wrote:
retrodaddy wrote:
surt wrote:Ideally it would just use the bounds of the non-empty screens rather than a fixed size.
Yes that's the way it works now.
Actually it seems the problem is that it always expands the bounds to include screen 0,0 even if it is empty.
Ok, I know what's the problem now and it has been fix in version v0.1d
surt wrote:Tried using in linux but the tiles all just render as solid yellow (screenshot), both in canvas and tileset view.
Same result under native love and running the windows executable version in wine.
Using Xubuntu 15.10 with Radeon 7850 and open source ati driver.
To check this: I've install virtual box on windows 10 and install Xbuntu 15.10 64bit, after choose from different driver, it works,
So that's I think is video driver problem, NiGo-CHR using canvas and shader, can be problem on some old hardware or some driver....
Attachments
VirtualBox_xbuntu_04_01_2016_01_15_20.png
NiGo-CHR : a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet :http://retrodaddy.itch.io/nigo-chr ---------- Website:http://retrodaddy.itch.io/ or http://retro77daddy.tumblr.com/

User avatar
retrodaddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by retrodaddy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Update06:version 0.1d
1.Export map now use the bounds of the non-empty screens.
2.Add usage infomation to every tools.
NiGo-CHR : a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet :http://retrodaddy.itch.io/nigo-chr ---------- Website:http://retrodaddy.itch.io/ or http://retro77daddy.tumblr.com/

User avatar
retrodaddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by retrodaddy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:47 am

Verison 0.2 wip, Using it myself:
NiGo_CHR0.2wip20160115.png
Now the Love2D engine has change to 0.10.0.
NiGo-CHR : a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet :http://retrodaddy.itch.io/nigo-chr ---------- Website:http://retrodaddy.itch.io/ or http://retro77daddy.tumblr.com/

surt
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 am

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by surt » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:15 pm

Any progess on PNG tile import?
The inbuilt pixel editing tools are too limited for me to do any serious pixel work within NiGo-CHR itself, so being able to easily import from a full featured pixel editor is important for me.

Any intention to expand the pixel editing tool set?
I'd be quite content with 2x2 and 4x4 brushes, bitmap brushes, line, axis-aligned rect, axis-aligned ellipse, flood fill (tile bounded, meta-tile bounded and unbounded).

User avatar
retrodaddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by retrodaddy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:09 am

surt wrote:Any progess on PNG tile import?
The inbuilt pixel editing tools are too limited for me to do any serious pixel work within NiGo-CHR itself, so being able to easily import from a full featured pixel editor is important for me.
It's a little difficult but I finally get this done today, and it will be in version 0.2.
Import method:
1.Drop a .png file on this program will replace current tileset page.
2.Use png alpha as color 0.
3.Any color not in FC/NES color palette will set as color 1, you need to use standard RGB value of FC/NES color.
4.Only first 3 colors will recognize in every 8x8 area, other colors will treat as color 1.
surt wrote: Any intention to expand the pixel editing tool set?
I'd be quite content with 2x2 and 4x4 brushes, bitmap brushes, line, axis-aligned rect, axis-aligned ellipse, flood fill (tile bounded, meta-tile bounded and unbounded).
I had put most of these tools in it before, also before NiGo-CHR I've wrote another pixel editor. But because I feel it's not mature and also , I take them out.
And with my limited pixel art experience, these tools are not 'must have' in small size pixel area...
Anyway I still considering add these function in future version.
NiGo-CHR : a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet :http://retrodaddy.itch.io/nigo-chr ---------- Website:http://retrodaddy.itch.io/ or http://retro77daddy.tumblr.com/

surt
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:02 am

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by surt » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:26 am

All screens of a map always uses the same four palettes don't they?
In that case I would think it best to do as NESST does and import/export a 16 colour indexed image with each of the four palettes stored sequentially.

User avatar
retrodaddy
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:31 pm
Contact:

Re: NiGo-CHR :a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet

Post by retrodaddy » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:14 am

Update07:version 0.2
1.Love2D Engine change from 0.92 to 0.10.0, so if you using .love you need to install Love2D 0.10.0.
2.Import tile set when drag and drop a .png file in.
3.Fix some bugs about pixel selection.
Still there are some small problems that I did't fixed, But since I will be busy next two weeks, so I want to release version 0.2 for people to testing import function.
NiGo-CHR : a pixel/level edit tool for FC/NES developmet :http://retrodaddy.itch.io/nigo-chr ---------- Website:http://retrodaddy.itch.io/ or http://retro77daddy.tumblr.com/

Post Reply