Feedback request: Tileset

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Marscaleb

Re: Feedback request: Tileset

Post by Marscaleb »

I spend some down time at work restarting the second forest tileset, and decided to spend my time today finishing it up.
I've also got another revision on the main character; I took the two palette trench coat version and turned it into a single palette version, and modified the design of the outfit. I like the design, but it extends out two pixels into a new tile, so it would require some extra tiles.

Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

That is one of the nicest NES forest tilesets I've seen.

The old tree trunks look a bit flat next to the new tiles, though.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Looks great for me! It makes me wants to play the game.

The only small issure here I'd say the palette for the main character is too close from the palette from the BG, no major issue, considering it's probably just a tileset among others where this problem won't be apparent.
Sik

Post by Sik »

Now those are some nice trees.
Rahsennor wrote:The old tree trunks look a bit flat next to the new tiles, though.
To be fair, the biggest issue is the top (i.e. where it meets the leaves) if those few pixels were edited to make it look more like it blends against the leaves (talking about black pixels here), it would probably look OK. As it is now, the tile boundaries at the top look way too blatant.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Looks great. Don't change a thing.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

Sik wrote:To be fair, the biggest issue is the top (i.e. where it meets the leaves) if those few pixels were edited to make it look more like it blends against the leaves (talking about black pixels here), it would probably look OK. As it is now, the tile boundaries at the top look way too blatant.
Yeah, it makes them look more like stumps in front of the canopy than trunks behind the canopy. But they only use two shades when everything else uses three, and there doesn't seem to be anything else tying up that extra palette entry anymore.

Then again, I'm no artist. Just because it's techically feasible doesn't make it a good idea.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Rahsennor wrote:But they only use two shades when everything else uses three, and there doesn't seem to be anything else tying up that extra palette entry anymore.
I drew this leaving one whole palette unused (and at least 64 tiles unused) so I can add extra elements later. This is still just an early experiment, or a mock-up, and I don't know conclusively what I am going to want in each level. So if I need a level that is a forest with a cabin in it, I don't have to scrap out all of my forest tiles to fit in the cabin. Or a forest with a stream, or whatever. The point is, I have room to add more detail once I know exactly what I want.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

That's not what I meant. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're using one palette for the ground, one for the grass, leaves and silhouettes, and one for the tree trunks, yes? Only two colors are being used from the tree trunk palette. You could add a third shade like you did with the other two.

EDIT: my bad, I thought the highlights on the leaves were the same shade as the silhouettes in the background. Pay my poor eyesight no mind.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I was playing this game today, and thought...what a beautiful tree.

Moon Crystal (stage 1)
Attachments
Moon Crystal.png
Moon Crystal.png (6.39 KiB) Viewed 5961 times
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

I decided to splurge and use six frames for the running animation. Using CHR-ROM I can easily swap out tiles for new animation frames, so I have some extra space for extra frames.

I'm not very experienced with pixel animation, so I'm not opposed to a more trained eye pointing out anything I have done wrong.

dougeff: It's one of many games I was using as inspiration for that tileset.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

This is really coming together!

I think his head should move a little. In fact his body should bounce some. It seems strange that he's running without going up and down.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

darryl.revok wrote:This is really coming together!

I think his head should move a little. In fact his body should bounce some. It seems strange that he's running without going up and down.
I could do that.

ImageImage
Also, here's an alternate color. I would think this would show up better in more environments, plus the palette could be more useful for other sprites. But I'm not really sure if I like it.

EDIT:
Corrected a couple pixels, but it's late and I'm tired so I'm not fixing the animated gif.
Last edited by Marscaleb on Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

I like this much better.

Now... your highlights are all over the place. Especially the one on his coat, but almost all of them. :)

Although, one thing I've been wondering myself, how do we explain light sourcing when our sprites rotate and one character has highlights on the side opposite from the other characters? I guess we just don't explain it and hope nobody asks. :)

Also, I'd make his knees kick up a little higher for a run.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

And here's a sample tileset for a dungeon-like level.

I also have a couple different variations on the stairs included.
Plus, I have plenty of space left over for extra tiles, so maybe I'll add in some more variants or extra detail, but honestly there isn't much more that I can think of that is worth adding in. I got a couple ideas, but the dark theme I was exploring lends itself to having less.

And having finished this up, I need to make up my mind if I'm actually going to pursue this project. I'm leaning toward yes, but I have more to consider than just how good I can make the art. Nevertheless, I would appreciate some candidness in your comments. Please, be honest.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

I'd change the brown color on the blocks to a dark blue, because I'm under the impression that the lighting in the room is more blue colored than it is brown because of the purple background.
Recolored.png
Hey, actually, you'd also only be using two palettes instead of three. Have you thought of adding torches or something?