Smash Bros Demake

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

russellsprouts

Smash Bros Demake

Post by russellsprouts »

Here's a title screen for a Smash Bros Demake.

Mario, Peach, and Link are in the background, and Samus, Mega Man, and Kirby are sprites. In Metroid, Samus doesn't have a black outline, because the background of the levels is black. I modified the sprite to have a black outline, so the green highlights on Samus as well as Mega Man's face are another layer of sprites (they share a palette -- green, tan, and white).
Attachments
character-select.png
character-select.png (4.22 KiB) Viewed 6044 times
Last edited by russellsprouts on Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Re: Smash Bros Demake

Post by tepples »

Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

To be honnest, those down-scaled pics looks terrible with the dithering all over the place.
DragonDePlatino

Post by DragonDePlatino »

Are we posting Smash Bros NES stuff? I made something a while ago as well!

I was wasn't really paying attention to size restrictions when making this but I think the palettes, character choices and general idea could work. Many of these work without overlays and could be edited down to 3x4 sprites. Theoretically, a NES Smash Bros game would be limited to 1v1 matches to prevent flickering. My character choices were all 1st party characters that originated on or before the NES, but I suppose characters like Yoshi could work as well.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Third row, second from the left, 1985: Is that Peach, or is it Fat Princess?

I'm guessing Ninten (1989) would probably have a moveset similar to Ness from actual Smash. But with that yo-yo, would Mike handle like a clone of Ness in the sense that Lucas from Brawl is a clone of Ness?

1993: OMG OP
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

DragonDePlatino wrote:Image
Now this is more like it! Graphics drawn specifically for the game in a more consistent style!
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

No Trixie from Barker Bill's Trick Shooting?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
DragonDePlatino

Post by DragonDePlatino »

@tepples

LOL I guess Princess Peach does look a little off-proportioned. If I ever revisit this I'll make sure to fix that. As for Ninten...He'd probably use more shields, evasion and stat-changing moves than Ness/Lucas since he can't learn offensive PSI. I'm not sure how Mike Jones would work...I've never played Startropics. :X

@tokumaru

Thanks! That's exactly what I was going for with that mini-project.

@Dwedit

Good grief. I think you found an obscure character I overlooked. And considering my inclusion of Donbe, that's saying a lot. O.e