Graphics Challenge: Color-reduce this parrot

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Sik

Re: Graphics Challenge

Post by Sik »

Yep, this is probably good enough. It looks better than I thought it could get o.o
BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude »

tepples wrote:At this point the clash is no more noticeable than it'd be in a Spectrum title screen.
Well, I'm not really sure how to make it better, without actually editing the picture (this includes something as simple as removing those red leaves to the left. Adding common colors between all of the palettes (like red for instance) makes the image look flatter, because of the lack of colors. If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it look better, please share them.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Which colors did you pick, so I can complete the file description page for the "all limitations" version? And do you likewise release your retouched version to the public domain?

Once I have this info, I'll post both a regulation conversion (no dithering) for Wikipedia and an optimized conversion (sharpened and dithered) for NESdev Wiki as an example of how a photo ought to be processed for NES display.
BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Post by BioMechanical Dude »

tepples wrote:And do you likewise release your retouched version to the public domain?
Sure. :)

Anyway, I've added the palettes to the picture, so that it resembles the ones for the Gameboy and Gamboy Color:

The colors in the palettes are the following:

0F, 06, 16, 02

0F, 16, 38, 30

0F, 08, 00, 10

0F, 0A, 18, 30

I hope this helps.
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Why did you resize the image to 240 pixels high? None of the others on the wikipedia page are taller, and in practice the US NES won't show that full height anyway.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Besides, the ground rules for that article imply that the image size shouldn't be changed from 150x200 unless a particular platform can't display the whole picture:
These simulations are always up to the maximum vertical resolution of the given graphic mode or up to 200 scan lines, if vertical resolution is greater.
But thanks for the palette. I'll see what I can do with savtool.py --palette 0F1602060F1638200F0800100F0A1820 tonight.
tepples

Post by tepples »

At 1:1 size, I had to make a few changes to the palette because different colors were getting put together. Here's what I came up with:

0F 16 06 08 / 0F 16 27 20 / 0F 09 00 10 / 0F 0A 19 10

One is converted per Wikipedia regulation, the other sharpened and dithered for showing what's possible.
Attachments
try1.png
try1.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
dithered.png
dithered.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 6614 times
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

It might be useful to note that the original image is not a multiple of 16x16 pixels, so it feels like it should be ok to move the edges of the 16x16 attribute grid internally, perhaps indicated by explicitly adding padding?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Now that I finally have some free time, I tried my hand at it...

Palettes...
0f 07 16 26
0f 08 18 16
0f 18 21 16
0f 26 27 38

(with lots of dithering)
Attachments
Parrot.png
Parrot.png (11.93 KiB) Viewed 6587 times
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

tepples wrote:At 1:1 size, I had to make a few changes to the palette because different colors were getting put together. Here's what I came up with:

0F 16 06 08 / 0F 16 27 20 / 0F 09 00 10 / 0F 0A 19 10

One is converted per Wikipedia regulation, the other sharpened and dithered for showing what's possible.
I think replacing the grey with purple will make the attribute clash a little less noticeable, but other than that, it's the best one in this thread so far.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

The same picture, undithered.
Attachments
Parrot2.png
Parrot2.png (9.66 KiB) Viewed 6577 times
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

And (to disagree with psycopathicteen) Tepples should replace the dark gray($00) with $16.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

How about replacing the photo with an amazing pixel art parrot? :mrgreen:

Seriously, am I the only one who thinks all of these images suck? I know this was proposed as a challenge, but isn't that whole Wikipedia page nonsense anyway? 90% of the consoles listed there don't come close to properly displaying the picture, a photograph that has no business being in a video game console to begin with.
Sik

Re: Graphics Challenge: Color-reduce this parrot

Post by Sik »

Isn't the whole point of that page precisely to show how much older hardware sucked for the kind of images you'd expect today? (hence using it to explain why the hardware changed like that over time)
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

tokumaru wrote:How about replacing the photo with an amazing pixel art parrot? :mrgreen:

Seriously, am I the only one who thinks all of these images suck?
No, I tought the same. (hence why I didn't contribute to this topic before right now).
I know this was proposed as a challenge, but isn't that whole Wikipedia page nonsense anyway? 90% of the consoles listed there don't come close to properly displaying the picture, a photograph that has no business being in a video game console to begin with.
Exatly, just like a large part of WP, it is pure nonsense.