Graphics Challenge: Color-reduce this parrot

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

BioMechanical Dude
Formerly AlienX

Re: Graphics Challenge: Color-reduce this parrot

Post by BioMechanical Dude »

OK, I have to admit, the teppels and dougeff's conversions are much better than mine. Although I don't like how the blue color in tepples's version is lost. After all, the image is supposed to show off the color capabilities of the system. I guess dougeff made up for that in his version, but some shades are missing.
tokumaru wrote:90% of the consoles listed there don't come close to properly displaying the picture, a photograph that has no business being in a video game console to begin with.
True. It'd be a better idea to show some pixel art, considering the limitations of the systems. Although converting images and figuring out how to make them look good is kinda fun. :mrgreen:
Greetings! I'm That Bio Mechanical Dude and I like creating various stuff like movies, games and of course chiptunes!
You can check out my YouTube Channel.
You can also follow me on Twitter.
tepples

Re: Graphics Challenge

Post by tepples »

Bregalad wrote:
I know this was proposed as a challenge, but isn't that whole Wikipedia page nonsense anyway? 90% of the consoles listed there don't come close to properly displaying the picture
Exatly, just like a large part of WP, it is pure nonsense.
A lot of the nonsense that people see on Wikipedia is the result of trying to uphold its verifiability policy. If the best published sources say X, but even better nonpublic sources say Y, then Y isn't verifiable, and Wikipedia will say X. Wikipedia also tries to eliminate what it calls "original research", which would at first glance appear to rule out posting your original pixel art on Wikipedia. (Those, together with "neutral point of view", are its core content policies.) But because Wikipedia knows that it's in the minority with respect to copyright licensing policies, it welcomes original illustrations "so long as they do not illustrate or introduce unpublished ideas or arguments." You might be able to justify posting an original pixel art trace of the same parrot that way.
Bregalad wrote:a photograph that has no business being in a video game console to begin with.
The conception that photos don't belong in a game console is the problem. A few weeks ago, Holt mentioned an interview with David Crane of Pitfall! and A Boy and His Blob. Crane was looking for less tile repetition and more photorealism in consoles and was disappointed to see Super Mario Bros. embrace tile repetition as its aesthetic. See in particular the trees in the screenshot of A Boy and His Blob that rainwarrior posted.
LightStruk

Post by LightStruk »

tepples, was black the best background color for this image? What if you used red or orange instead? It looks like you re-used a color between the first two palettes - what if that were the background instead?
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

startropics_peter_parrot.png
startropics_peter_parrot.png (5.16 KiB) Viewed 3509 times