I'm working on a Super Mario Bros. hack and would love feedback on the artwork and design. I want to give this to someone for their birthday in about 6 months.
The bush and brick graphics are from DragonDePlatino's Mario mockup. I haven't replaced them yet... Here are some of the modifications I've made so far to the rom. I'm using ASM6 and the source is from someone's disassembly which has helped speed up the changes.
- Changed from NROM to UNROM. I plan to use a full 16k bank for graphics and four banks for level data.
- Loading levels from Tiled using RLE compression.
- Two player mode is more fair now. The end of a level will switch players instead of letting them continue.
- Removed lives counter. If you die, it starts back at the beginning of the level.
Hopefully this allows the player to experience the full game without rage quitting.
- Removed pipes, because they don't make sense. I plan to use doors instead.
- Library enemies: librarian that drops books (lakitu), bookworm
- Tile animation
- Different collectibles than coins and figure out what to do when you reach 100 (1-up no longer makes sense)
- Load different graphics for each unique area. I can replace metatiles and palettes fairly easily.