copyright plant zone

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Re: copyright plant zone

Post by tokumaru »

Now I'm thinking about slopes... Those will be impossible to pull off with such a busy background. You'll have to find a way to create more black (or maybe dark green?) areas in it.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

tokumaru wrote:Now I'm thinking about slopes... Those will be impossible to pull off with such a busy background. You'll have to find a way to create more black (or maybe dark green?) areas in it.
it could be done in a similiar manner like they did with starlight zone. everything kinda dissapeared into black. OR. the background is filled with a dark green mesh to fill the block and ignore the odd transition. The second method would force all those curly loops to be constructed out of angled slopes, rather than a true loop (which might actually be more beneficial because metropolis zone has ALOT of slopes anyway and would only spare the sparse memory).
NOPE.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

rainwarrior wrote:Also, if you want a wider looking horizontal highlight on your pipe, I'd suggest an additional horizontal white line above and below it, with a 1 line gap of light brown. (Kind of stands in as 2 extra lines of 50% horizontal-stripe dither.)
Visual explanation:
pipe_hor_dither.png
pipe_hor_dither.png (255 Bytes) Viewed 11152 times
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

rainwarrior wrote:
rainwarrior wrote:Also, if you want a wider looking horizontal highlight on your pipe, I'd suggest an additional horizontal white line above and below it, with a 1 line gap of light brown. (Kind of stands in as 2 extra lines of 50% horizontal-stripe dither.)
Visual explanation:
pipe_hor_dither.png
bloody hell, that went right over my head. I often confuse x and y directionals in english.
error corrected
NOPE.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

*waves his magic wand at oil ocean zone*
ImageImage
NOPE.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I've made NES covers of music from a couple Sonic levels. How would they look?
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

tepples wrote:I've made NES covers of music from a couple Sonic levels. How would they look?
no idea, grass is definately going to be a problem in emerald hill (which ill get right on)
but some guy a long time ago, actually did do flying battery zone in a place called sonic vegemite. I saved it, now cant find it >_>...

but meanwhile i try to master EHZ, have some tunes:

oh, i did this last year too, incase you were wondering why mystic cave was in the nsf:
Attachments
sonic hummer themes.nsf
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 450 times
NOPE.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

ImageImage
i did what i could. had to reinvent most of the grass and shaded grass blocks but i think it was worth it.

Edit: filtered all of the images so far, click on this word to go to the album.
NOPE.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Estlib wrote:ImageImage

ImageImage
Yeah, the overall feel is there, and there are many nice things about these images, but you really can't go "fuck it" and ignore those gigantic attribute clashes. You seem to be going with black as the background color even when that color is hardly present. Oil Ocean would probably look much better if you used orange as the background color, so you could draw all the little ornaments without all the attribute clash.

As for Emerald Hill, the black under the grass can almost be overlooked, but the light blue going into the sky is unacceptable. I'd much rather have the sky and the water use the same color, and be separated only by the surface of the water.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

tokumaru wrote:
Estlib wrote:ImageImage

ImageImage
Yeah, the overall feel is there, and there are many nice things about these images, but you really can't go "fuck it" and ignore those gigantic attribute clashes. You seem to be going with black as the background color even when that color is hardly present. Oil Ocean would probably look much better if you used orange as the background color, so you could draw all the little ornaments without all the attribute clash.

As for Emerald Hill, the black under the grass can almost be overlooked, but the light blue going into the sky is unacceptable. I'd much rather have the sky and the water use the same color, and be separated only by the surface of the water.
The emerald hill one was an easy fix:

however with the oil ocean... ill have to see. (brb)
edit: i took a look, and while three palettes would be okay when black is swapped for orange, the purple palette wouldnt be, it just wouldnt look ok at all. there might be a possible compromise here, but that would mean that the background will turn light yellow, not orange.
looking into the yellow themed now.
edit2: this is what it would look like when black is switched with orange in all palettes:
edit3: instead i propose this solution:
in the yellow-green palette, the dark blueish color gets to be orange, and existing black takes over where dark blueish previously was.
edit4: made a better-looking gem/s
NOPE.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

This topic now has more flying battery:
ImageImage
NOPE.
snarfblam

Post by snarfblam »

Personally, I'd much rather see something use a different palette than see a big miscolored rectangle.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

snarfblam wrote:Personally, I'd much rather see something use a different palette than see a big miscolored rectangle.
Same here! You can even make more use of the lighter end of the palette for some objects and the darker end for others, so they don't look completely the same. In this Flying Battery shot, for instance, the pillar barely has any white, so you could use tons of it in the angled platform to make it stand out.

This section is actually more complicated than it looks, since those angled platforms move up and down, and moving huge background sections on the NES is very prohibitive. This is one gimmick that would probably have to be rethought for an NES version.
Sik

Post by Sik »

Yeah, although those move relatively fast so maybe the tile-sized steps are not as bad as it sounds. I'd give the pillar section a completely black background though to avoid the background clash (I'd assume there isn't parallax here anyway, so it shouldn't look that odd).
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Sik wrote:Yeah, although those move relatively fast so maybe the tile-sized steps are not as bad as it sounds.
It's not just about how it'd look, but about each platform being a huge 12x6 tiles monster. Moving 2 of those by 8 pixels would mean updating 168 name table bytes, which would consume the entire VRAM bandwidth for a frame.
I'd give the pillar section a completely black background though to avoid the background clash
Definitely.