Animated water tile

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Marscaleb

Re: Animated water tile

Post by Marscaleb »

I think this may be the last I am going to work on these water tiles for a while.
I mean, last after I take into account any final comments.

I want to have at least two different tiles, one for more-turbulent water like rivers, and one for less-turbulent-but-still-not-still water. This of course of for the less-turbulent water, and the first design I posted was for the more-turbulent water.
water2.gif
water2.gif (2.69 KiB) Viewed 3210 times
I accidentally saved the gif playing backwards, but honestly it doesn't matter which direction it plays.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

It's cool to see this technique in pixel action! It looks pretty nice.

Since the water is moving, i think it makes sense if the surface waves dictate the turbulence underneath (which it does in most cases, but not all). I put my thumbs on the screen and compared column for column until i found the one piece that felt a bit off. It does a -180 degree opposite at one place. It might look more natural if this is more or less phase reverted. Not saying definitely, but could be worth a try. It could also turn out too mechanical, which in case could be remedied if a higher frame budget is allowed, by allowing a light part lag one frame behind in, say, a 6 or 8 frame cycle.

For river purposes, any of your previous blue and white ones look convincing to me.
Myask

Post by Myask »

Yeah, water-surface waves are more L-waves than pressure or shear.