M-Tee's Graphics Projects (Isolation, CG2, etc.)

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

M_Tee

M-Tee's Graphics Projects (Isolation, CG2, etc.)

Post by M_Tee »

Figured I'd post some of the stuff I've been doing here periodically.

This is from Isolation, a homebrew NES point-and-click adventure that I'm working on with KHAN Games. (Short in-progress video of gameplay here.

In it, the player guides Taewon, a South Korean teenager who awakens to his city mysteriously abandoned.

I'll post some more work here as time goes by, including, hopefully, some Pyronaut updates soon.

In the meantime, you can check some of my other graphics work at: http://www.mteegfx.com/tagged/graphics
Last edited by M_Tee on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
dougeff

Re: M-Tee's Graphics Projects

Post by dougeff »

Looks good.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

Will the point-and-click adventure feature SNES mouse support?
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Dunno, mate. Not my call. I'll chime in if I hear one way or another.

@dougeff
Thanks. Put a lot of work into establishing the exact style and layout for the graphics.

As for process, I start on custom-designed graph paper, build in Photoshop, import to NES Screen Tool to generate nametables and attribute tables (used to do it by hand using Photoshop actions, this program saves so much of that work) l use yy-chr to manage my CHR files, and use Photoshop actions to build sprite charts that are passed along for coding.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

darryl.revok wrote:Will the point-and-click adventure feature SNES mouse support?
I'm always surprised how often people bring up SNES mouse support for NES games. How many people actually have these, and why? Has anyone besides tepples ever written NES software that can use it? Does a commercially available SNES to NES adapter even exist?
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

SNES mouse came with Mario Paint. One website says a million copies of Mario Paint were sold. There are a million mouses [mice ?] out there. I have one.

SNES to NES adapter? I don't know.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
tepples

Post by tepples »

rainwarrior wrote:I'm always surprised how often people bring up SNES mouse support for NES games. How many people actually have these, and why? Has anyone besides tepples ever written NES software that can use it?
Sliding Blaster by NovaSquirrel, but that might not count because we're cousins.
Does a commercially available SNES to NES adapter even exist?
The adapter I received from Paul at Infinite NES Lives was a one-off. But the FC Twin famiclone can use the mouse.
dougeff wrote:SNES mouse came with Mario Paint. One website says a million copies of Mario Paint were sold. There are a million mouses [mice ?] out there. I have one.
Yet I see copies of Mario Paint at pawn shops and other classic game shops with no mouse.

tpw_rules was working on an adapter to translate PS/2 mouse protocol to Super NES Mouse protocol, allowing use of the PS/2 mice that are plentiful in Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. But he got sidetracked by other features to be added (especially PS/2 keyboard support) plus a killer app for that feature (a Z-machine interpreter) plus real life (college).
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

My brother and I got Mario Paint back when it came out. It was a lot of fun. In the US, Macintoshes and Amigas were not common in homes at the time, so the most complex graphic program I'd used before Mario Paint was Paintbrush on Windows 3.1. Mario Paint mixed in animation and music and had preset stamps for all kinds of Nintendo characters.

There's probably not much reason to go back and play it now, but at the time it was great.

I'd say there have got to be more copies of Mario Paint that have survived than the mice. You see a copy of Mario Paint thrown in with every lot of cheap games almost. Without the mouse, you pretty much have to give the game away to get rid of it.

I just hear point-and-click and a mouse obviously comes to mind. I think it's a cool feature that could work well with a lot of games. More games supporting it would make it more likely that emulator authors would support it which would mean more games supporting it in the future.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Mario Paint was a popular game. I had it too. I sold it a long time ago, with mouse.
darryl.revok wrote:More games supporting it would make it more likely that emulator authors would support it which would mean more games supporting it in the future.
FCEUX, Nestopia and Nintendulator all have "mouse" input options, though I've never experimented with what they do. Is this SNES mouse support, or some other kind of mouse?

Edit: Tried all three with Thwaite:

1. FCEUX "mouse" isn't detected by Thwaite.
2. Nestopia's "mouse" isn't detected by Thwaite.
3. Nintendulator: works.
never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete »

I'm always surprised how often people bring up SNES mouse support for NES games. How many people actually have these, and why? Has anyone besides tepples ever written NES software that can use it? Does a commercially available SNES to NES adapter even exist?
I have one because I was making a strategy game that supports it. It's a secondary project, so only a basic engine has been completed and nothing has been publicly released.

I also use it when I play Thwaite.
. That's just like, your opinion, man .
tepples

Post by tepples »

Other kinds of pointing device for NES:
  • Oeka Kids tablet, DA15, supported by two games
  • Hori Track trackball, supported by four Famicom games. NES version was defined (and supported in Operation Wolf) but canceled.
  • Subor Mouse, supported only by a pseudo-Windows 95 cartridge for an "educational" famiclone
  • Power Glove, properly supported only by Super Glove Ball
I'd bet the "mouse" option in some of these emulators emulates the Subor Mouse. Had the Hori Track been released stateside, I probably would have supported it in Thwaite instead of the Super NES Mouse.

I've requested Super NES Mouse support in FCEUX; Zero Mouse has yet to reply after having added Super NES Controller support. (Which reminds me: I need to check for a new SVN build to close that bug.)
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

rainwarrior wrote:FCEUX, Nestopia and Nintendulator all have "mouse" input options, though I've never experimented with what they do. Is this SNES mouse support, or some other kind of mouse?
Two years ago today, I wrote about attempting to use FCEUX's mouse with Theremin:
Bavi_H wrote:When I tried to use FCEUX's mouse option with Theremin, it also crashed for me.

I looked at FCEUX's mouse.cpp. I didn't understand it very deeply, but it I think it's using the Subor mouse "single-byte packet".

Subor mouse protocol from Nocash NES Specs (scroll down a little to get to the Subor mouse)
SNES mouse protocol from Nesdev Wiki
(updated nocash's domain in quote above)
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Subor mouse, eh? Hmm. The "mouse.cpp" code in FCEUX is from before 2006. I looked into its implementation, it wasn't even hooked up correctly (probably hasn't worked in years). Can't tell if it agrees with that "single byte packet" version of the subor mouse in that documentation. It might.

I fixed it while I was in there, but does anyone know where to find a subor mouse test ROM?

Maybe while I'm looking at this I'll see how easy it is to add SNES Mouse. ;)
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Cursor movement feels great on the test ROM I was sent. It accelerates and decelerates smoothly, allowing both quick access to the opposite side of the screen as well as precise movement in a small area.

Anyway, here's the next screen with a scooter-in-parts on the side of the road:
Last edited by M_Tee on Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

tepples wrote:I've requested Super NES Mouse support in FCEUX
I made an attempt to add support for it with r3215.

Seems to work fine with Thwaite, though moving the mouse off the window presents a little bit of a problem. FCEUX has no mouse-capture interface at the moment.

I noticed that Thwaite does not seem to cycle the sensitivity settings like the wiki suggests to do?