M-Tee's Graphics Projects (Isolation, CG2, etc.)

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

na_th_an

Re: M-Tee's Graphics Projects (Isolation, CG2, etc.)

Post by na_th_an »

Very good job, congratulations :)
Myask

Post by Myask »

M_Tee wrote:Please post any errors that you notice. I'm pretty bad at proofreading my own writing.
Error under Gold Pots: "hordes" should be "hoards"
Error under Gilded Nalgae: "zealotous" should be "zealous"

May be error (redundancy): under Gold Pots, "bul sot pot"…if bul sot means pot.

Not errors, but I'd suggest changing these to flow better.
under Hwang Komori, "These larval form of bollé" to "These bollé larvae"
under Maekgaibo "the last paths input into their memory banks." to "their last-programmed paths." or "the last paths put into their memory banks."
under Gold Nuggets, "an exit rope leading to an exit." to "a rope leading out."
Art is lovely.
Lingerer description is perfect.

Curious what all those words and names mean outside of this context, as I'm not familiar with their language of origin:
[hwang] komori
[chung/hong] bollé
maekgaibo
[bam/ja] nalgae
gopjil
bul sot
tepples

Post by tepples »

I see "nalgae" and immediately think of "nalgas", meaning "buttocks" in Spanish.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Thanks a ton, Myask. That's exactly the kind of proofreading I need. I'll implement all of those changes.

As for etymology, it's Korean (and errs toward the side of sino-Korean, or Korean with Chinese origins, especially in regards to color). I try implement it into my work whenever I can, and I'm also a big fan of enemy names using foreign languages to generate fantasy naming conventions (apparently Koopa originates from gukbap, a Korean broth served with rice, I could only speculate from the similarity between the bowl and the shell.) But plenty of enemy and item nameswere simply not localized, just transliterated in game manuals, and I really dig that.

Anyway, the word origins are as follows:
(Standard romanization given when different. For example, the eo in Korean romanization is intended to be pronounced like the short o in dog. Also, I freely chose between older and newer romanization in regards to consonants (such as j and ch or g and k)

Nalgae (날개) - Wing
Gopjil (껍질, ggeopjil) - Shell
Bam (밤) - Chestnut (frequently used as a color reference for a particular shade of brown)
Ja (자) - Purple (most commonly used to refer to the slightly reddish purple a specific breed of sweet potatoes have)
Chung (청, cheong) - Blue
Hong (홍) - Red
Bollé (벌레, beolle) - Bug, (but frequently used interchangeably for beetle, such as a stag beetle being a saseum beolle, or deer bug)
Komori (거머리, geomeori) - Leech

The last is my absolute favorite, and no one ever asked from last year's manual, so I haven't shared it yet:

Swiss Army knives in Korean are literally called McGuyver knives (맥가이버칼 or maekgaibeo kal).

So, the name for the spinning blades, Maekgaibo, comes from (맥가이버, maekgaibeo), what I believe to be the raddest instance of Korean appropriation of English.

However, in development, we just refer to them as blue slugs, yellow blades, etc. though. :)

Anyway, will update the image when I get a chance to do so. Thanks again for taking a look at it.

EDIT: Forgot bul sot (불) - fire, (솥) - pot (cauldron, etc.). Specifically chosen in reference to large ceramic pots used for cooking.
Last edited by M_Tee on Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

M_Tee wrote:I'm also a big fan of enemy names using foreign languages to generate fantasy naming conventions
Ask the Maori how they felt about LEGO Company's appropriation of their culture in Bionicle.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Luckily, I'm not an intern Googling exotic phrases (intentionally hyperbolic exaggeration of whatever situation led to Lego's situation). I'm an immigrant with long and deep roots in the culture who also does my research when needs be. I choose to incorporate Korean culture and linguistics into my work because it is a deep part of who I am and so that one day, my children may see it and feel a connection to it. Would rather not soapbox, though. Enjoy the art. :)
Myask

Post by Myask »

M_Tee wrote:Thanks a ton, Myask. That's exactly the kind of proofreading I need. I'll implement all of those changes.
[…]Korean.
You're welcome and Thanks!
Swiss Army knives in Korean are literally called McGuyver knives (맥가이버칼 or maekgaibeo kal).

So, the name for the spinning blades, Maekgaibo, comes from (맥가이버, maekgaibeo), what I believe to be the raddest instance of Korean appropriation of English.
McGyver Knife is indeed rad.
My favorite Japanese compound (though I'm American) is 魔法瓶, mahōbin: mahō (magic) bin (bottle) = Thermos bottle (vacuum flask) …or, if you break up by kanji, demon technique bottle.
Japanese has interesting wasei eigo"made in Japan English" words where they appropriate a word and it doesn't really mean what it does in English, like handoru (from handle) for "steering wheel".
EDIT: Forgot bul sot (불) - fire, (솥) - pot (cauldron, etc.). Specifically chosen in reference to large ceramic pots used for cooking.
That means bul sot pot in the gold pot description is technically redundant…but only people who're bilingual/looking "bul sot" up will ever notice. And that's not many people.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

@Myask: Yeah, Korean has a number of loanwords and phrases from English that are used differently, commonly an adjective may be used in place of a noun, or syllables will be broken up, dropped, and reused. For example, sandwich is frequently just sand. So, you can see things marketed as Cheese Sand. I'm pretty sure it's common in all languages (English's introduction of other languages' words being no exception) but it doesn't make it any less amusing. :)
Also, I apparently have never once spelled MacGyver correctly.

@Tepples
I read the source link for the Maori controversy, and it's an interesting read. I certainly didn't mean to imply that appropriate research and consideration shouldn't be made, (though I could see due to my phrasing that it could have been read that way).
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

@Myask
I've updated the manual with your corrections and suggestions (and to add an additional credit).

For word spacing, I've rephrased a few of the entries:

Again, if anyone else notices errors, please let me know. Still a few weeks away from having these printed.
Myask

Post by Myask »

under Gold Pots:
"gold. these bul sot" is that a comma? It should be, and I think it already is, but this is a little too low-res to tell.
under Bul Sot:
is the punctuation after "explosives" a comma? It should be, and I think it already is, but this is a little too low-res to tell.

Otherwise, looks good to me (though I invite others to look, generally any editor is significantly worse on their second pass through something, being familiar, their memories autofilling what they read…)
thefox

Post by thefox »

FWIW, I read through all of it and didn't spot any mistakes.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

So, I'm vectorizing a few assets for the A53 packaging, and I found out that the Create Object Mosaic feature in Illustrator is a pretty efficient way of doing so. Previously, I had been using an embarrassingly tedious method from a Youtube video that involved filling in a grid cell-by-cell with the Live Paint tool.

I posted detailed instructions (assuming no or basic previous experience with Illustrator) on my blog in case anyone else could benefit from it.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

A little early preview video (from a week or more ago) of a title Lukasz Kur and I are working on. Trying to wrap it up, from start-to-finish, in just a little over a month (coming up on that deadline very soon.)

https://youtu.be/_PmGaukgM-k
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Looks really nice! I remember playing the pegasus - my cousins in poland had it, of course :)