M-Tee's Graphics Projects (Isolation, CG2, etc.)

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Sik

Re: M-Tee's Graphics Projects (Isolation Spoilers)

Post by Sik »

Alp wrote:I don't understand their logic here, to be honest:
"Let's make a universal symbol for medical help, and let nobody use it!"
Because of fear that people may not take it seriously enough when it's really needed. Remember, it's not just intended for medical aid, it's for aid in severe circumstances such as a war. That's where you definitely don't want to risk any sort of dillution or even confusion as to what's official. (in fact, you can't just use it for medical aid either)
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Sik's answer is convincing. But should that apply to works of fiction?

case 1: band of brothers/the pacific: the red cross is accurately represented as an organization providing aid.
case 2: doom: first aid kits may be a discoursive slip, but then it's also hell on mars.

maybe worse that doom in terms of representation: sexy nurse halloween costumes?
Sik

Post by Sik »

For the record, I imagine case 1 could be given a pass since it doesn't misrepresent the trademark. I wonder what a lawyer thinks about this.

The problem is that for starters it doesn't mean medical aid, it means protection during a war, i.e. people and things that would be a war crime to attack. And as you can imagine trying to identify as being something with such protection when you aren't is also a war crime. If there is so much stuff around using the red cross with another meaning, well it loses significance and can't be used to indicate what's under protection when it's really needed.

A medikit with the red cross in a game is obviously not under protection (it isn't even a real thing), but it does help with the confusion that leads people to misuse it and hence why the symbol is trademarked, to help reduce that problem.
tepples

Post by tepples »

To sum up, unless you're referring to the Red Cross organization:
Attachments
From left to right:<br />ISO 7010 first aid sign, heart symbol, Doom BFG Edition medikit symbol, logo of Red Cross
From left to right:
ISO 7010 first aid sign, heart symbol, Doom BFG Edition medikit symbol, logo of Red Cross
no_red_cross.png (464 Bytes) Viewed 7500 times
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I just happened to sit beside this symbol. It could possibly be trademarked by some other organization, but it is a clean way to circumvene the problem while retaining the signal of the red and white:
Attachments
IMG_0676.jpg
IMG_0676.jpg (60.37 KiB) Viewed 7471 times
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Yeah, light on dark will likely be my approach (considering that the icons always flash through four palettes: orange, violet, and two others, not too worried about the color.) Might try to keep the round field throught the sizes as well. Appreciate all the input on it.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Palette question:

Are there any differences, benefits, or best practices when selecting #20 or #30 for white?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

#$20 and #$30 are the exact same voltage, and so are fully identical whites.

I personally like using #$20 just because it's a smaller number.
tepples

Post by tepples »

The difference between $20 and $30 can be seen mostly during a fade out using the common "subtract $10 each step and crush negatives to $0F" method. $20 fades with the rest of the colors; $30 stays bright longer.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Ah, so in that situation, #30 would go from #30 (white) to #20 (still white) before going to #10 (light grey) and #00 (dark grey)?
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Yes. That allows for interesting effects. If you, for example, dim the palette on PAUSE, you can have the $30 values go to $20 (no change) and have that for importat stuff such as stats or something you want to emphasize.
GoogieToons

Post by GoogieToons »

That's looks pretty cool, M-Tee. I really dig it. :mrgreen:
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

The next screen:

This one involves lights being turned on and off, so I chose to use #0D to give a nice lights-out effect:

Still playable, if on a system with an emulated palette. It'd just look like so:
(being able to see anything other than the cursor and the window isn't necessary for play while the lights are off)

...and here's the animation for the robot booting up.
na_th_an wrote:Yes. That allows for interesting effects. If you, for example, dim the palette on PAUSE, you can have the $30 values go to $20 (no change) and have that for importat stuff such as stats or something you want to emphasize.
Thanks, I love the palette darkening of the pause screen in Yun, by the way. It's a nice bit of polish.

@GoogieToons
Glad you dig.

Oh, and on Instagram, another video of mouse support:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BFPogternm8/

And, a short preview of a parallax-scrolling transition scene:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIs7_fTgLHv/
(Am insanely satisfied with it...)
Myask

Post by Myask »

M_Tee wrote:And, a short preview of a parallax-scrolling transition scene:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BIs7_fTgLHv/
(Am insanely satisfied with it...)
You should be!