2nd attempt: Isometric excercises

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Myask

Re: 2nd attempt: Isometric excercises

Post by Myask »

Feels like a late-EGA title screen. Not in the bad way. I like it.

And if you parallax that into the background of a level/segment, it'd be lovely. But you're not likely to have a side-scrolling bit where parallax is easy...unless you allow "diagonal" movement w/r/t the grid.

Reminds me of the two controlstyles of SR'n'R...
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Personally I don't like the dithering all over the place. It looks like an automated conversion. I've nothing against limited use of dithering, by the way, but that's too much.
darryl.revok

Post by darryl.revok »

Bregalad wrote:Personally I don't like the dithering all over the place. It looks like an automated conversion. I've nothing against limited use of dithering, by the way, but that's too much.
I have to concur. I really like your work, but that style of NES graphics doesn't look good to me.

I'd prefer to see it primarily in solid shading with some dithering details.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

I actually agree with all these points, for the same reasons and some more.

It is very EGA like, and it is not often i liked that style myself. I was aiming for something that was reminiscent of the low budget covers of early black metal albums, but in a video game context, that translates into something else.

Another bad thing with overdithering like this is that it consumes a *lot* of tiles. I used a full $FF of tiles and still felt i had to compromise for the sake of keeping the dithering style concistent (the larger clouds, especially). It was made to be decoration for a club/vernissage evening together with some other stuff displayed on one tv sreen each. But if i'd reuse it for a game, i think it needs to be more clear-cut, both in terms of style and memory usage. That way it would also look more elaborate and perhaps rewarding for the player.