Foreshortening is hard

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

darryl.revok

Re: Foreshortening is hard

Post by darryl.revok »

I don't know if it helps, but I did it with this animation and I thought it turned out okay.
NewHairFlipForwardAttack01.gif
NewHairFlipForwardAttack01.gif (1.14 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
I didn't really have a particular method. I guess I start with a block of pixels and chip away at them until I don't see any improvements to make. I like to define "rules" and sizes for the different parts of my objects in my head, so in a sense, there only become so many options that I have which work for the character, when it comes to making decisions like, adding pixels to a part for foreshortening. I tried moving her head just about every way I could and only got a limited number that look good.

Some stances... just don't work. Some frames work well in an animation but don't hold up as stills. It's just the nature of the low-res, low-color work.

I agree with most people however, that your edit looks good. I don't think this this one of those impossible stances.
Bregalad

Re: Foreshortening is hard

Post by Bregalad »

Okay? It looks amazing, I'd say ! Even the hair is animated, and well, which is rare for a SNES game.