Palette/attribute table decisions

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Palette/attribute table decisions

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Slowly learning to get more colourful. Which one (or which parts of either) do you like the best? Why?

I really don't know myself. But other than composition, i think they convey different texts. Smoggy/Toxic, sunset/night, semi-natural/cartoony bold, to be specific. The warm-toned one is how i originally imagined it, but i don't know anymore.

Oh, and the influence on this one should be obvious :)
Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
calima

Re: Palette decisions

Post by calima »

Left. For the things you listed really, it could fit a lot of games, while the right with its poisonous cartoony air would only fit a slapstick zombie game.
M_Tee

Re: Palette/attribute table decisions

Post by M_Tee »

I disagree. The left is fine. The right is unique. Considering the factory on the horizon, it certainly adds a toxic feel to it. It definitely doesn't seem out of place for anything along the Shatterhand / Kabuki Quantum Fighter spectrum.

Moreover, I think it adds a sense of unease to the player, which could benefit in selling your setting.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Mercury vapor lamps (the "blue" ones) photograph green, if you want a convenient excuse that has nothing to do with cartoon toxicity.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Thanks, and good points - on both sides! Uuuh i can't decide! :lol: The unwillingness to pick one makes me think it should begin with the brown, and then have a white lightening strobe, and after that change to toxic green as you close in on the gate. That'd be sure to be ominous. 8-)

Anyway, here's a small update. For as long as it's brown, just one pair of green windows is better than using it for details in the vincinity. That's certain to be the heart of evil.
Attachments
jobmanx.bmp
jobmanx.bmp (30.12 KiB) Viewed 6906 times
Drag

Post by Drag »

I like the red scene, because that palette seems more natural. If it's dark out and there's a giant ominous looming smoke-billowing factory as the center piece of whatever you're getting yourself into, I'd expect the air around it to be reddish from a combination of the smog and the amber-colored lights that are usually placed on and around factory exteriors.

(Tangentally related, I actually encountered something similar to this when I made a wrong turn in Pennsylvania and wound up in an old looking town that had a huge smoky factory looming in the back. It was a winter night and snowing at the time too, so it was a lot more white colored, plus I think the lights on the building were white. With the navigational error aside, it was a pretty badass scene to look at. After a bunch of research based on the silly road names we passed (Dumb Hundred Rd, Dick Schoolhouse Rd (pitch black and lead straight into the woods, noooope), Purdy Rd), it turns out that the town was Roaring Spring PA, and the factory is the paper mill that's there.)

The green doesn't seem like a bad idea either, and the first thing it reminds me of is the Oddworld series with its hyper-industrialized settings, usually with a green haze as the backdrop (Contrast with the more natural environments you encounter later, where the green tones are plant life rather than the strange toxic neon green in the factories).

I'm torn too, but your idea of the palette changing from red to green seems really cool, like if the gate slowly opened and the haze faded from red to green as it happened, you could even throw in a music sting for the transition.
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

M_Tee wrote:I disagree. The left is fine. The right is unique. Considering the factory on the horizon, it certainly adds a toxic feel to it. It definitely doesn't seem out of place for anything along the Shatterhand / Kabuki Quantum Fighter spectrum.

Moreover, I think it adds a sense of unease to the player, which could benefit in selling your setting.
Off topic, but is there any reason why your username and avatar is so similar to TmEE?
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Nope. Noticed the coincidence some time ago though.