i am bored.

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Estlib

i am bored.

Post by Estlib »

Plains underground
ImageImage
forest
NOPE.
dougeff

Re: i am bored.

Post by dougeff »

I really like the ground on all those. Is this a game concept, or just random art / doodling?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

These are really good! The only things I'm not fond of are the weird shading on the indoor cyan stuff (looks inverted/negative somehow) and the excessively blocky trees.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

dougeff wrote:I really like the ground on all those. Is this a game concept, or just random art / doodling?
youll find out soon enough.
tokumaru wrote:These are really good! The only things I'm not fond of are the weird shading on the indoor cyan stuff (looks inverted/negative somehow) and the excessively blocky trees.
the brick platforms have a special function - they're phantom platforms! you can only step on them if you have a specific temporary power up.
NOPE.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Changed forest to look less blocky and more choppy
edit, also this lakeside: EDIT2, also this castle:
ImageImage
NOPE.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Something about the phantom platforms bothers me, like they don't fit in with the composition very well. Those stalactites could use some more depth too, they look flat compared to other things that are done in the same style (like the rock outlines and the brick outlines). Other than that, all of the scenes are nice and colorful and have great detailing, very good work, I can't wait to see more. :D
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Don't kill me, but as blocky as they were, the old trees had more charm. The new texture looks way too nonsensical for representing leaves.

The underwater is pretty cool, I love the little shadow below the waves on the surface, it gives the water some volume. One thing I didn't like though is that platform that's only partially covered by water... It doesn't make any sense because the presence of grass indicates that the top of it is unobstructed, meaning there's nothing to hold the water where it is. It looks weird. It would be better to end the grass along with the water, IMO.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

tokumaru wrote:Don't kill me, but as blocky as they were, the old trees had more charm. The new texture looks way too nonsensical for representing leaves.

The underwater is pretty cool, I love the little shadow below the waves on the surface, it gives the water some volume. One thing I didn't like though is that platform that's only partially covered by water... It doesn't make any sense because the presence of grass indicates that the top of it is unobstructed, meaning there's nothing to hold the water where it is. It looks weird. It would be better to end the grass along with the water, IMO.
ill try to find a compromise between the old leaves and the new style in the future.

the grass had to be put under the doorway, otherwise the player would just fall at the entrance. im not quite sure how to resolve this yet.

oh, and desert
NOPE.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Estlib wrote:the grass had to be put under the doorway, otherwise the player would just fall at the entrance.
Can't you use another type of solid block under the doorway? Something that's visually separated from the platform that's underwater?
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

tokumaru wrote:
Estlib wrote:the grass had to be put under the doorway, otherwise the player would just fall at the entrance.
Can't you use another type of solid block under the doorway? Something that's visually separated from the platform that's underwater?
oh yeah, didnt think of that >_> just thought it needed to "continue"
NOPE.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Hud is the main show here

also, a dinky stick walkcycle

NOPE.
MrNorbert1994

Post by MrNorbert1994 »

I'm having a Giana Sisters wibe just by looking at those diamonds / gems.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

MrNorbert1994 wrote:I'm having a Giana Sisters wibe just by looking at those diamonds / gems.
do you want me to change the design of them?

pyramid/night:
oasis:
sand fortress
NOPE.
Estlib

Post by Estlib »

Vulcanica
NOPE.
Drag

Post by Drag »

I think the large sandstone bricks look too wiggly; if you remove the bezel decoration on the front, they could easily pass as compacted snow-bricks. The black shadow also looks like it's too far forward, if you were going for a backlighting effect, so it ends up looking a little out of place.

The pyramid interior could benefit from some more contrast in the palette, the shadowed color is too bright and it makes the entire scene look flat, and like with the bricks, the black shadow on the pedestals is too far forward and looks out of place; all you need to do is push it farther to the right (almost up against the edge) and it'll look fine.

I really dig that nighttime scene; that horizon looks like it could strongly benefit from some the silhouette of some sandy hills against the gradient, not unlike the shape that's right above the water in the oasis scene. I might be wrong, but it seems like a neat thing to try out; you could also use it to hide the artifacting caused by the gradient tiles running into the diagonal sand tiles.

The volcano environment looks neat too, but you may want to consider scrapping the purple haze, since you're going to run into more cut-out artifacting as foreground objects need to be placed overtop of it, unless you can come up with some creative way to mask it, of course.

I hope this criticism doesn't sound too negative; I really am enjoying all of the art you're posting so far.