Looking to partner with artist for NES adventure game

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Looking to partner with artist for NES adventure game

Post by gauauu »

TL;DR Summary:

I'm getting ready to start a fairly large-scale homebrew NES adventure game, and am looking to partner with a pixel artist.

I'm likely going to shoot for either a zelda-like adventure game (another sequel in my Anguna series), or a futuristic side-scrolling metroidvania-style game. The details are still in design, and I'm happy to collaborate on those details.

This is unpaid. I like to release my games for free (often open source) and am interested in working with somebody that also enjoys that model. That said, I'd probably want to release a cartridge, so there might likely be money involved at some point to split.

Who I am:

Nathan Tolbert (gauauu). I've made a small handful of homebrew games over the past 15 years, for Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Atari 2600, and NES (as well as some Android game development) You can see some of my past projects at http://www.bitethechili.com. I'm fairly new here on this forum, but have been involved with the GBA, DS, and Atari homebrew communities for awhile.

As I mentioned above, I like to make games for the fun of doing it, and to let people play them. So I'm not particularly profit-focused. I tend to release the source of my games.

I'm also slow-moving. Between work, family, and friends, my game development doesn't happen at a fast pace. Most of my larger games have been 3-year projects, and I would be surprised if this new game happens faster than that.

My Goal:

My next goal is to make a large-scale adventure game for the NES. As I mentioned above, my two primary ideas that I'm working with now are either another zelda-like game in my Anguna series, or a sci-fi metroidvania game (something inspired by the old Blaster Master game, but with a bit more of a metroid exploration vibe).
I'm not 100% set on either of these, and I'm excited about the idea of working out the details with an artist.

I'm just now in the early phases of planning, so there's not much momentum yet, but I'm confident that we could make something awesome. (I haven't made an ugly prototype yet, because I believe the graphics can really guide the game design)

When finished (maybe in 3 years or so?) I'd like to release it as a free download, as well as a full cartridge release (assuming cartridge hardware is still available at that time!)

What I'm looking for:

I'm looking for a pixel artist who can design all the visual artwork/graphics for the game. I'm also interested in that person having some ideas to bring along -- this isn't about you just making graphics that I ask for, it's about coming up with ideas together -- which is why I've left the game premise a bit open-ended so far.

If you have other talents to bring (music composition, level design, etc?) that's great as well, although that's not my primary focus at the moment.

If anyone is interested, let me know!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Looking to partner with artist for NES adventure game

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Pardon the short message i'm in a rush. But I'd be interested. :) There's a few threads in the graphics subsection, if you want to have a look.

EDIT:
Ok, i'm back home from work, so here comes more details:

To save you from digging around the forums, heres some direct links to graphics and animations i've made: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
There's a few more excerpts on my casually updated IG.

I have a musical/studio background, but only just recently began to translate that into making vgm/bgm. The music for wrecking balls, linked above, is one recent example. This was my first try.

I've been enjoying colaborating with Rahsennor on the same premise: (Ie. not a full-time commitment, with the goal of releasing images for free, possibly with cartridges). As long as the tempo is easy enough to not feel like work/to be able to put in the spare hours, this basis for production is fine and enjoyable.

Prior experience: I've been working as a graphics, UI/UX designer in close relation to a programmer to make public systems for museums. That also involves a fair share of material, sound, video and animation production. I know enough about programming the NES to have a productive conversation about design choices and methods, but not enough to know what i'm doing all by myself, so until then, i'm happy to stick with making graphics, sound and music, possibly also box/label design. I do believe that while the role of design(1) is a field of work on its own, a lot of that field is shared with both assets production(2) and programming(3), so exchange of experience between these positions feels pretty vital. I feel mostly at home in (1) and (2); either or both. I'd love to bring some few ideas to the table and discuss the direction of where things are going.

On level design: I think it's interesting and integral to the game design in general. Much of the game design can be expressed via level design. I don't have too much to show, though, because i haven't done much actual level design. I've been working some few years on a metroid hack that try to make the most of what the original engine is inherently capable of doing (but doesn't do because of how things simply are laid out) in terms of puzzle elements and discovery features, with just a few tweaks to make the experience not as rough as in the original, but haven't gotten around to publishing it since i only have myself to answer to - that's another reason why i like to team up.

My life (especially working life) is irregular; sometimes i have plenty of time free, sometimes not at all in intervals. I'm looking for positions to steady my routines, but for the forseeable future, it is what it is.

If it comes to cartridge production, i've got the equipment and can set up a workshop for the EU region.
Last edited by FrankenGraphics on Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Drew Sebastino
Formerly Espozo

Post by Drew Sebastino »

Will any of the artwork being made be uploaded here? I'll help if so, I just don't want to be in a commitment.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

Frankengraphics, that looks awesome, and your thoughts about time commitments are pretty much inline with how I do things. I'll send you a PM when I get some spare time in the next day or two.

Espozo: Thanks for the input! Any input from others along the way sounds like a bonus. We'll see how things go :)