Pixel Sketchbook

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Kasumi

Re: Pixel Sketchbook

Post by Kasumi »

Only 2/4 background palettes needed for that last one! The one before it is 3. Cool work.
zob64

Post by zob64 »

Kasumi wrote:Only 2/4 background palettes needed for that last one! The one before it is 3. Cool work.
Thank you! Yeah, with the early sketches, I'm trying to save one or two pallets for when I actually need to make this fit the game and narrative. But keeping the background dark and cool lets the bright warm sprites really jump off the screen.

Here are some village type tiles. I have some NPCs overlapping the background tiles. Doesn't look tooooo bad, but it would look way worse when they move, I'm sure.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Wow, the new sprites are really colorful! Great job!
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

I'm not normally a fan of the black background trick, but you're really putting the extra color to good use.
zob64

Post by zob64 »

Thanks, tokumaru and Rahsennor!

Messing with some haunted tomb tiles. I changed all the coffin tops to be interchangeable so I could maybe work in some kind of puzzle about finding the right tomb. Also, the Terracotta warriors are visiting my local art museum, so I wanted to try doing something like that.

zob64

Post by zob64 »

Messing with the idea of a misty forest that using the transparency of the sprites to obscure them in the fog. Putting some mist colored enemies in this zone could be a bit too cruel, but I think it would be memorable at least.

zob64

Post by zob64 »

Messing around with some swamp tiles for working tiles Sacnoth.

Diskover

Post by Diskover »

Is beautiful
zob64

Post by zob64 »

Thanks, Diskover!

Working on a creepy wizard's tower for working title Sacnoth.

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Skellie cages look great! I kind of wish there was a highlight here and there, else it's very suggestive! Thick atmosphere. :)
zob64

Post by zob64 »

FrankenGraphics wrote:Skellie cages look great! I kind of wish there was a highlight here and there, else it's very suggestive! Thick atmosphere. :)
Thank you! Wow, you are right about those highlights! Thanks for the tip!

Alp

Post by Alp »

Very nice work! Are you familiar with Hydlide 3 (Super Hydlide) by any chance? If not, I'd suggest taking a look at it.
hydlide3-pc881.png
hydlide3-pc881.png (10.76 KiB) Viewed 9545 times
I'm posting a screenshot of the PC-88 version, because every single console version, butchered the gorgeous tilework, on this church.
zob64

Post by zob64 »

Alp wrote:Very nice work! Are you familiar with Hydlide 3 (Super Hydlide) by any chance? If not, I'd suggest taking a look at it.
hydlide3-pc881.png
I'm posting a screenshot of the PC-88 version, because every single console version, butchered the gorgeous tilework, on this church.
Thanks! I love the look of PC-88 titles! I've never played Hydlide, but I do like the look of it.

BTW, I love your own Hydlide style mock up that you put up on twitter a few weeks ago. Really strong stuff! Cheers!
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

After so many post and sample you made I think I should take the time to say that I really like your work. I hope it will be used in a game someday.

Good work!

@AllOtherArtists

I may have not posted in your threads specifically but I want to say that these days the sample you create are awesome. Since the last 10 years, the quality of what people are able to make is becoming quite high. Would love to make such nice art without fighting with the mouse all the time. I guess I just don't have the talent for it unfortunately :lol:
zob64

Post by zob64 »

Thank you, Banshaku! I'm hoping it'll be made into a full game too!

Sketching out a giant's mountain cottage for working title Sacnoth.