It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: Sprite colours
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm 

I see, that's great then! Always good to have free assets :D

To answer your question, yes a sprite is 8x8 or 8x16, and it uses one palette of a transparent color + 3 colors. It can also be positioned anywhere on the screen, and 64 of them can be displayed at any time. What exactly got you confused about what a sprite is?

The thing is your image was kind of confusing, and for a not too complicated character. So it didn't really need different sprites just to show the skin color for example. For that particular character design, it's probably best to do it the way I described, unless some specific resource necessity calls for a shift in resource usage priority ("resources" being palette usage, CHR usage or sprite usage, for example).

Although people would probably not use free assets "as they are", it's going to look better if the assets are designed with some degree of optimization for the desired platform. In this case I feel that 4 CHR tiles, drawn using 6 sprites with 2 palettes is a good way to go. Some of your examples use 6 CHR tiles, and/or 10 sprites, and/or 3 palettes.

If you open this game on fceux:

Then you use spidey's lua script that shows hex values for the sprites on screen you'll get this:

It shows exactly everything that is not a background, and how they are positioned on the screen. It's a nice way to see what are sprites.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:44 pm 

Yes mr nesrocks, you are quite right, and you image you posted first with my sprites is exactly how I would do it for a chr file. I have a software that will remove duplications and images that are mirrored. Optimising it as you say. No one might use the assets, but il make them anyway as its part of making my assets more universal. They are released public domain anyway so they could be used and edited, modified in whatever way the user wanted, so may be useful just for a demo or conceptual works. :)

I really appreciate your last post, il check that software out as I haven't experimented with that one yet. Also what I will do is post the image again of the character with the chr set up.:)

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:08 pm 

To answer part of your confusion, there are kind of two parts to displaying sprites.

There's the sprite itself, which is always 8x8 or 8x16.

Then there's the set of sprite tiles which are used to display sprites. If you use 8x8 sprites, each sprite uses 1 8x8 sprite tile. If you use 8x16 sprites, each sprite uses 2 adjacent 8x8 sprite tiles. But even using those two 8x8 tiles, it still only counts as 1 sprite.

So in theory, with 8x16 sprites you can cover twice as many pixels of the screen as you can with 8x8 sprites.