I find myself struggling with understanding how to make something from scratch.
- * Is there no way to load in my own CHR data? Does it have to be imported from a png?
* How do I cycle CHR banks when building my sprites?
If you were to add the ability to import raw CHR and palette data, make it more clear how to switch banks and add a JSON export I think the tool would become much more user friendly.
Thank you for your feedback!
To make something from scratch is quite easy.
1) Select sprite mode do you want to work with: 8x8 by default or 8x16
2) Menu: Sprite -> Create New or RMB on the Sprite List -> Create New
3) Select created sprite
4) Press the "Draw" button ( or Alt+D ) to enable drawing mode
5) Select a color and draw something...
After creating each sprite has its own CHR bank. You can make a copy of your sprite in two ways: full copy or reference. Full copy ( "Create Copy" or Alt+C ) will have a separate CHR bank. Reference ( "Create Ref" or Alt+E ) shares the same CHR bank as original sprite.
You can import raw CHR bank: File->Import, select 'CHR bank (*.chr, *.bin)' then you have to press the "Build" button ( or Alt+B ) and construct your sprite dragging selected CHRs to layout window using a RMB.
Also you can import sprites from 4 colors bmp or png images. File->Import, select '4 colors image (*.png, *.bmp)'.
Palette data can't be imported at the moment. But I'm going to add this feature.
[UPD] Custom palette import added. The latest development build can be found here
As for JSON format... How do you plan to use it ?