Using sprites to enhance the background

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

SecretServiceDude

Using sprites to enhance the background

Post by SecretServiceDude »

For those who haven't followed the thread on title screen name table compression, my game is called Bionic Commander. (To be honest, I'm surprised nobody's poked fun at me for the ridiculous parody, but I digress...)

In the title screen, the word "Bionic" is written with a metallic font. It's looking pretty good so far, but it could use a little more "oomph".

In order to make the metal look more reflective, I originally wanted to add white highlights along some of the edges. Unfortunately, since each 2x2 tile region is limited to 4 colors, I had no available colors left after drawing the sky and landscape gradients. I didn't want to compromise the quality of those gradients, so the highlights got the boot.

Then it occurred to me: what if I layered sprites on top of the background to get those highlights? Doing so would produce the result shown below:

What do you think? Does this seem like a reasonable way to go about it? Any other ideas?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Yeah, it does improve the metal effect. If you have the spare tiles to do it, go for it. There seems to be less than 8 columns of sprites, so the sprite limit won't be a problem.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Oh yes, you should do this. I use sprites + background to make the portraits in my game. In fact, a lot of those look like just straight lines. You could get away with using very little tiles to make these. I think it really does make it more metallic looking.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

That's definitely a good way to do it. It does add some nice extra detail.
SecretServiceDude

Thanks for the support! Cool, sounds like that idea's got the green light.

tokumaru wrote:There seems to be less than 8 columns of sprites, so the sprite limit won't be a problem.
Good observation! I originally had the highlights running horizontally across the tops of the letters, but quickly realized the sprite limit would prohibit it. After switching to the vertical orientation, I think it looks much better. I love it when technical limitations foster creativity. :D

And yes, there are exactly 8 columns. If you look closely at the letter B, you'll notice a missing column of highlights. I originally had additional highlights immediately to the right of the two holes, but removed them to stay within the sprite limit. I don't think the omission is very noticeable, nor does it diminish the overall look.
BMF54123

Post by BMF54123 »

Looks nice. :) I did the same thing for a competition hack of Atlantis no Nazo:

The dragon/eel thing on the right uses sprites for both the "mane" and the glowing red eye.

If you want some insane examples of sprite overlays, check out the ending to Ninja Gaiden 3 (or any of the cinema scenes, really). It's mind-blowing.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

SecretServiceDude wrote:And yes, there are exactly 8 columns. If you look closely at the letter B, you'll notice a missing column of highlights.
Oh yeah... I counted 7 before, but now I see it. And I didn't even miss anything when looking at the B, it's perfectly fine.
smkd

Post by smkd »

I didn't catch the difference at first, but now it's really clear. It's a nice touch.

I think a nice example that really sticks out is in the Batman ROTJ intro sequence with Joker.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

This is a good idea, and look better.
Also Bionnic Commander sounds really like a parody of Bionic Commando (#1 on gamefaqs top 10 today btw)
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Bregalad wrote:This is a good idea, and look better.
Also Bionnic Commander sounds really like a parody of Bionic Commando (#1 on gamefaqs top 10 today btw)
One of the only two side scrollers I know of where the player's character doesn't jump, the other being Lode Runner.
SecretServiceDude

Wow, figuring out a good sprite arrangement for the highlights was a pain. After shuffling some pixels around and exploiting the sprite V-flip bit, I managed to cram all the highlights into 6 unique tiles. A more optimal arrangement might be possible, but considering that the per-scanline sprite limit prohibits me from layering sprites on top of each other, I'm pleased with the results.

The colored boxes on the right half of the image indicate where each sprite goes. (There are 38 sprites total.) The red boxes indicate sprites that are flipped vertically.

Also, I went ahead and made the highlights thicker so they'd be more noticeable. The NES ain't about subtlety. :wink:
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Thin highlights look better.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
SecretServiceDude

Dwedit wrote:Thin highlights look better.
Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.

Personally, I prefer the thick highlights, but of course it's hard to judge my own artwork objectively.

So, thick or thin? Could I get a quick consensus from you dudes?
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

It doesn't make that much of a difference to me but if I had to pick I think the thinner highlights are better.
CKY-2K/Clay Man

Post by CKY-2K/Clay Man »

Thin
Here to at least get an idea of how the NES works. I mean I know alot of the basic things, but this place'll help me grasp more how NES functions.
Major respect to NES developers.