Fonts for homebrew developers

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

frantik

Post by frantik »

there were fonts in ansi.sys?
tepples

Post by tepples »

some 8x16 fonts by Chris Pirillo: open the .com files in a tile editor

My bad. After a bit of research, I remembered that it wasn't ANSI.SYS; it was an ANSI-related CPI file used with the 'mode con codepage' command. Which reminds me: Try opening %SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\ega.cpi in a tile editor.
frantik

Post by frantik »

ooh there was a nice 8x8 font in ega.cpi.. i added it to my ascii character pack

http://supermariounlimited.com/wiki/Character_Sets
Jon

Post by Jon »

frantik wrote:ooh there was a nice 8x8 font in ega.cpi.. i added it to my ascii character pack

So ugly!
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

tepples wrote:some 8x16 fonts by Chris Pirillo: open the .com files in a tile editor
That is a really cool set, but most of them don't have any spaces between the chars, so they'd run together as tiles. Some of those do have some space.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Memblers wrote:That is a really cool set, but most of them don't have any spaces between the chars, so they'd run together as tiles.
The IBM Monochrome Display Adapter had a hack to improve the apparent resolution of text: tiles of 9x14 pixels were stored as 8x14 in the card's ROM. Most tiles had a blank column of pixels added at the right side, except for tiles $C0 through $DF (mostly box drawing tiles) which duplicated the right column of pixels. The 14- and 16-line text modes in EGA and VGA kept the feature.
frantik

Post by frantik »

Jon wrote:
frantik wrote:ooh there was a nice 8x8 font in ega.cpi.. i added it to my ascii character pack

So ugly!
lol, the EGA font or all of them? the ega font i ripped isn't very attractive but I think the dos ascii one I made isn't too bad considering what i was trying to emulate.
Memblers
Site Admin

Post by Memblers »

Heh, kind of off-topic but when I was using Squeedo through the RS232, I got a real kick out of displaying color ANSI graphics on the PC terminal. The Squeedo control menu suddenly felt like an old dial-up BBS. :D Unfortunately, I wanted to stick with monochrome so the NES PPU could display it.
frantik

Post by frantik »

mmm NES-BBS...
tepples

Post by tepples »

Today, I was at a craft store, and here's what I found:

But more to the point, you can find bitmap fonts, some of them multicolor, in the "ABC" books in the cross-stitch section. A lot of them are collections of drop-caps, but there are a lot that could be turned into 8x8, 8x16, or small proportional bitmap fonts. For example, Precious Moments: Welcome Home Baby has this rendition of Wasted Collection:
WJYkK

Post by WJYkK »

Well, here's a font that I made myself:

I don't know whether I should add in lowercase letters as that might just take up unneeded CHR space.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Was this posted yet? http://kofler.dot.at/c64/ "The C64 character set gallery contains 374 user defined charsets drawn by various people, taken from demos, games, etc."
slobu

Re: Fonts for homebrew developers

Post by slobu »

This is a subset of my JASCII font.
I am putting it up under creative commons 0 (public domain)
Attachments
jasciibasics.bmp
jasciibasics.bmp (18.05 KiB) Viewed 16714 times
DragonDePlatino

Post by DragonDePlatino »

You might be interested in this awesome collection by usr_share on OGA. The same artist also has a few other collections on their profile. A bit unorthodox, but you could check out some tilesets at the Dwarf Fortress tileset repository.
torridgristle

Post by torridgristle »

Reckon this is The font thread to share this in, so here's my collection of over 100 bitmap fonts from various video games and programs, all should have descriptive filenames to ID them.

https://mega.nz/#!pgtQ2SLS!eURP4Iy0e1eU ... dUvhLxVEFE

Got NES, SNES, various BIOS dumps, WonderSwan, Neo Geo Pocket, Game Boy, graphing calculators etc.

Edit: 2019-3-3 Update