Art showcase

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Bregalad wrote:I'm afraid $2000.1 writes wouldn't take effect mid-frame.
I think it works horizontally, right?
Bregalad wrote:you'd have to replace the 8k CHR-RAM by a 32k one
Why 32KB?
tepples

Post by tepples »

Horizontally would only give you 16x8 pixel attribute areas, but that might be good enough.

32 KB because you'd need 12 KB, but SRAMs appear to come in sizes that are a power of 4 times 512 bytes: 2 KiB, 8 KiB, 32 KiB.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:Horizontally would only give you 16x8 pixel attribute areas, but that might be good enough.
Yeah, already better than 16x16, and can be done with regular vertical mirroring.
you'd need 12 KB
Yeah, so I expected a 16KB chip to be used...
but SRAMs appear to come in sizes that are a power of 4 times 512 bytes: 2 KiB, 8 KiB, 32 KiB.
Weird that they don't make 16KB SRAMs.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

tokumaru wrote:Here's an example of my "algorithm" that appears to have the correct amount of colors:
Image Image
Your "algorithm" looks a lot like my old one:

All done by hand, right? :D
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

ccovell wrote:Your "algorithm" looks a lot like my old one:
Oh yeah, I forgot about that picture! It's pretty old, probably something I saw when I first started studying the NES! =)
All done by hand, right? :D
Yeah, I didn't bother coding a tool because I don't think the results are good enough, and I can't see it being used for actual game projects.
tepples

Post by tepples »

So I've started to set up a gallery page on the wiki for background tiles and sprite cels useful for tech demos. Who wants to see their art on this page?
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Not me I don't want to be plagiarized.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Jeroen

Post by Jeroen »

It's not plagirizing if you give permission. What you mean is "I don't want people to use my work with absolutly no compensation at all" (Not saying thats a bad thing...after all you did put work into it. Why shouldn't you be compensated somewhat?)
blargg

Post by blargg »

Plagiarizing is putting your name on someone else's work, thus falsely claiming that you created it. It'd be like someone posting foobar's NES test ROMs even though they were the ones I wrote. That's totally different from foobar's emulator including unmodified copies of blargg's NES test ROMs along with it.
jasonflord25

Post by jasonflord25 »

nice drawings you got there tokumaru
UncleSporky

Post by UncleSporky »

So in this other thread someone linked Thaddeus's CV2 hack, and I figured out how he was doing the forest graphics - using blackness as the trunks of trees and starting/ending the forest graphic at different times and heights. A while ago I added to what I had done with it and made some leafy canopy tiles. Just wanted to share that:

I might use this tile set someday.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The funny thing is that what happens in this background is the exact opposite of what most people would consider normal: the closest trees are darker than the distant ones. Most people would just darken the distant trees and add more detail to the closest ones, but this scene managed to simulate fog pretty well by inverting the shading and not using textures at all. This is the work of a true artist.
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

Yay! :D My turn:

cartlemmy

Post by cartlemmy »

First of all, hello I am new to this forum. I recently have become obsessed with learning how to develop NES games and was happy to find a community dedicated to such endeavors.

I didn't realize how incredibly limited the NES palette was until now. I always knew that you could pick 16 of 50 or so (54?) colors, and use only 4 of them per 16x16 square. But I never realized that the first is always transparency and that you can only have 4 palettes for each the BG and sprites.

The cool thing about being so limited is that is forces you to be creative and intuitive. Which is the reason I wanted to try to make an NES game in the first place. Anyhow the below screenshot is something I did in about an hour on GIMP. It may not translate perfectly to NES, but it is just a result of my learning experience.

Now to learn 6502 ASM, yikes!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

cartlemmy wrote:Image
This looks very good, and it's nice that you're considering using slopes in your game... a lot of people are afraid of implementing them, but I think they are worth the trouble and make all the difference.

I don't think you are obeying the palette limitations though. Assuming that you use the color of the sky as the background color, you're gonna need one palette for where the grass meets the sky (sky color + 3 greens) and another for where the grass meets the brown (2 greens + 1 brown). There are only 2 background palettes left, not enough for the green blocks (which use white, so it's not the same palette as the grass), the blue blocks, the red blocks and the gray blocks.

Also, you have to watch out for the 8-sprites-per-scanline limitation. Your character is pretty big (3 sprites wide if I'm not mistaken), and with the fire and smoke effects, plus the ball, you're gonna reach that limit pretty quickly. Try to design your graphics in a way that doesn't line up so many sprites at once, otherwise you'll have a lot of flickering once you add enemies and such.