It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: NES Screen Tool
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:40 am 

dougeff wrote:
You can edit the palette, by loading the exe in a hex editor and searching for the palette array.

Awesome!
Thanks

Attachments:
nesst_palette_swap.zip [45.98 KiB]
Downloaded 54 times

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:29 pm 

It seems that Shiru has re-updated NES Screen Tool to version 2.32

v2.32 03.08.17 - Sprite duplication, group flip, four palette slots, tile density sort, and more

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:12 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Density sorting - That's interesting! The first use i see is finding tiles with low and/or similar content and test if one is redundant.

But in my mind, this sort of thing could maybe also be a useful/effective preconditioner prior to RLE compression (sorting by optimal lengths of runs are obviously even better, but it can't hurt that 0 heavy content is packed in one end).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:05 pm 

This tool is indispensable for my work on Wizard of Wor. Absolutely amazing. Hats off to Shiru for his work on this!

-Thom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:25 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

I found a bug ...but it's seeded by photoshop. There could be a way to proof NESST, though. Description and workaround below:

Sometimes -in photoshop at least-, when saving images as indexed bitmaps, it silently stores multiple entries of the exact same colour.

NESST will read this as separate colour entries during import and try to 1) squash colour depth, resulting in scrambled/lossy patterns, and 2)
come up with multiple subpalettes to cover.

If you ever find that NESST scrambles your bitmaps/patterns, even though you've been careful to just store 4 indexed colours, here's a workaround:

1. Photoshop > file > export > save for web (legacy)
2. Select GIF. Select either selective or adaptive indexing. This will merge any dupes and solve the problem. There's a bonus feature to this, too.*
3. Save. Open. Re-save as bmp.
4. NESST imports will now work.

It seems the bug originates from using the colour swatch, if the colours of the swatch were picked with the eyedropper tool in another project window, but i haven't tested it extensively.

As for proofing NESST, checking for identical colour entries in index and ignoring the excess entries should work.

========
*As a bonus, the indexing mode will sort your colour entries. Adaptive mode puts the most used colour first, which is usually the bg colour, so that's good for NESST imports.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:57 pm 

No need to save to GIF and re-save as BMP, you can convert your images to indexed color prior to saving, and work on them that way, using a fixed palette, without running the risk of using the wrong colors by accident.

You can go to image -> mode -> indexed color to palletize your image, using similar controls to those found in the "save for web" dialog.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:10 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

That's true. I was working in indexed mode already - Admittedly, it allowed for 12 colours when i first swapped to it, which gave plenty of room for the bug to manifest itself (NESST detected 6 colours + the bg colour, where only 4 were unique). Normally AFAIK in PS, if you allow for more colours than what is used, those excess colours will be discarded when saving, but this is apparently not the case if dupe entries somehow manage to sneak in.

In the save for web dialogue you have a better view of exactly what colours are stored and in what order, which was how i detected what it was that NESST didn't like. But swapping back to rgb and then to indexed once again is quicker, like you said.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:09 pm 

I think that if you click on the "forced" drop-down and then on "custom" you can see the color table Photoshop generated for you, and you can manipulate it too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:57 am 

The thing I think this tool is missing is the possibility of doing MetaTiles for the backgrounds

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:09 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Shouldn't that be the job of a dedicated map/level editor? Not that i would complain if nesst was expanded in this direction. Just as long as it still would let me reference nametable cells to patterns without forcing the use of metatiles.

Maybe derive a list of metatiles based on the current content of the nametable; ignoring any duplicates? More elaborately, that list could in turn be used internally to feed into a 'stamp' type of tool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:17 am 

FrankenGraphics wrote:
Maybe derive a list of metatiles based on the current content of the nametable; ignoring any duplicates? More elaborately, that list could in turn be used internally to feed into a 'stamp' type of tool.

That would be great

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18