NES Screen Tool

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Epic. I'll try it after school. :D
neilbaldwin

Post by neilbaldwin »

Great stuff Shiru. :D

I spotted a little bug - if you press V to vertically flip a CHR, colours 01 and 02 are swapped.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

My mistake, I made the vertical flip as it was a single bitplane. Fixed, the file is updated.
neilbaldwin

Post by neilbaldwin »

Shiru, I can't thank you enough for all your effort with this tool. I've now abandoned YYCHR completely and NESST is really, really nice to work with , as well as allowing me to make edits and changes to my graphics really, really quickly.

It's this kind of attitude that I really love about the NES community :D
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I can't abandon YYChr for it's more features like copy and paste, but otherwise, I am going to use this all the time now! Thanks so much, I agree. Great tool.

I'm working with it right now actually. ^_^
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

I've added minimal undo feature, just one step, but it could be very useful sometimes (when you accidentally fill something or put a tile in wrong location). The file is updated.

@neilbaldwin, the fact that my tool got your attention is already really great honor for me, because you are one of the people who contributed to rising of my interest in NES games, game development, and chip music.
neilbaldwin

Post by neilbaldwin »

Shiru: would it be possible to add copy/cut/paste to the tileset window? I was thinking you could hold shift and draw a selection box (like in the nametable) then perform operations on the selection?
thefox

Post by thefox »

Bug: "Apply tiles" and "Grid" buttons are grouped/exclusive (only one of them can be down).
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

@neilbaldwin, it is definitely possible, but will take some time to implement.

I've fixed the bug thefox reported, the file is updated.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Copy/paste for tile groups in the Tileset window is added, it works the same way as nametable copy (Shift+mouse drag to select).
neilbaldwin

Post by neilbaldwin »

:D

I thought of something else last night (because I'd been doing some tidying/reorganising of my project CHR file).

How about a function that processes the loaded CHR/nametable in the same way you import a BMP file?

What I mean is that the function will scan the CHR file for repeats/redundant CHRs, remove the repeats and 'defrag' the CHR file (move everything to the start of the CHR file) then 'remap' the loaded nametable accordingly.

Not sure how it would work exactly but I think it would be quite a nice 'clean up' function. You'd end up with a 'compacted' CHR file with empty tiles at the end (instead of all over the place as my CHR files seems to end up :) )

I figured you're probably already doing a lot of the work in the Import BMP function.

Not a big problem, just an idea :)
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Added CHR optimization, it is in the Patterns menu.
neilbaldwin

Post by neilbaldwin »

Ha ha, great work Shiru!

Can I just ask for a small tweak? Could you make it so that you can perform a rectangular selection (shift plus left-click drag) and then the selection gets excluded from optimizing? It would be handy for when your CHR file has a specific structure (for example, I have two sets of alphanumeric tiles in my CHR file and I'd like to keep them in the same place in the CHR file).
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

This one was a bit tricky, but added it too (version number is not changed, just updated the file).
neilbaldwin

Post by neilbaldwin »

Fantastic! :)

(Oh, I noticed that the colour-swapping bug that I mentioned when you vertically flip a chr occurs also when you shift a chr downwards with the cursor keys)