NES Screen Tool

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Post by tepples »

For now, NROM only is fine.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

I overdone it and added import/export for NES files of any size. Some other minor features and bugfixes are done as well. The file is updated.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I'll try the new version later, but what is the mode that you can click characters on the left AND right side and it doesn't let you place any more blocks on the screen? I've had it happen on my older version, but I'll try this one soon too. It happens anywhere from start up to even a few minutes of use in, it's weird.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

I don't really understand the question. At the startup, placing tiles and attirbutes to the nametable is disabled. You have to enable it with the buttons Apply tiles, Apply palettes.
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

Yes, but there's times where even when those are activated (and disabled and re-enabled doesn't work) when you click the nametable, it selects the tile on the right and doesn't allow you to replace it from then on out on my version. I can't determine what causes it, it seems random at times, but sometimes I think it's when you select a tile on the right too maybe. I'll test more later as I never tried to make it do it, it just happens.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Hmm, never happened for me. You can select tile on the right by clicking right mouse button on the nametable, so maybe in this case your left click is counted as right click by some reason?
tepples

Post by tepples »

I envisioned the following work flow:
  1. Import .nes ROM in NESst
  2. Export tilesets A and B
  3. Scribble on them in a paint program
  4. Import tilesets into NESst
  5. Save CHR data back to .nes ROM
When I export tileset as image from NESst under Wine 1.3.28, it comes out as a 24-bit BMP. But when I reimport the 24-bit bitmap into NESst, NESst tells me it can import only 4- or 8-bit BMP. Why doesn't NESst save a 4-bit BMP in the first place? Or does it save a 4-bit BMP under genuine Windows?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Post by cpow »

tepples wrote:I envisioned the following work flow:
  1. Import .nes ROM in NESst
  2. Export tilesets A and B
  3. Scribble on them in a paint program
  4. Import tilesets into NESst
  5. Save CHR data back to .nes ROM
When I export tileset as image from NESst under Wine 1.3.28, it comes out as a 24-bit BMP. But when I reimport the 24-bit bitmap into NESst, NESst tells me it can import only 4- or 8-bit BMP. Why doesn't NESst save a 4-bit BMP in the first place? Or does it save a 4-bit BMP under genuine Windows?
You prefer PNG? I added a PNG exporter of CHR-ROM banks to NESICIDE for someone on #nesdev that wanted it. I could add an importer...then I'd be in the Costanza "import/export" business.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

NESst saves 24-bit BMPs because it was easier to do that way. It draws graphics as 24-bit because besides the graphics itself there are extra things like selection rectangle, grids, etc.

I can make export 4-bit, it would only require some additional code.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

The export is now 4-bit, and you can import back previously exported tileset. The file is updated.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thank you for working with me on this. I just tried it out, and there appears to be a bit of a problem: If I import a 128x128 pixel tileset image while bank B is showing, the import goes to bank A anyway.

Another feature request: Can I get a minimize button?
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

Fixed the import problem, also added Swap banks just in case.

Regarding the minimize button, what exactly you mean? There is standart minimize button for main program window.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I'm not seeing a minimize button at the right side of the title bar of the main program window. All I see is close. It might just be a Wine problem.
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

It is, probably - because the button is (and always was) there, and it works. Maximize button is disabled, though.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Thank you for putting this new feature in so fast.