nesdev.com
http://forums.nesdev.com/

NES Screen Tool
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7237
Page 13 of 18

Author:  Hamtaro126 [ Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:46 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

I am not 100% if qbradq will finish the tool that he mentioned one time, so can you please support Nintendo's RLE format for PPU data as seen in the Black Box and Mario series, qbradq and Orbit2002 uses this as well:

http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10676

It will be more complete after that.

Author:  lazerbeat [ Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

This is more of a linux / wine issue than related to this tool so sorry if it is a bit off topic. I had a hell of a time getting NES screen tool to work on WINE as the drive mappings weren't configuring correctly. It took me a couple of hours to figure out. Doing this (NOTE THIS WILL REMOVE YOUR WINE FOLDER) :
Quote:
sudo rm -rvf ~/.wine

Then re opening NST in WINE, downloaded a couple of things and then it worked fine! Might help someone out in the future.

Author:  mikejmoffitt [ Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

lazerbeat wrote:
This is more of a linux / wine issue than related to this tool so sorry if it is a bit off topic. I had a hell of a time getting NES screen tool to work on WINE as the drive mappings weren't configuring correctly. It took me a couple of hours to figure out. Doing this :
Quote:
sudo rm -rvf ~/.wine

Then re opening NST in WINE, downloaded a couple of things and then it worked fine! Might help someone out in the future.


Whoa! Hold up there - while this probably worked for you, don't let anyone go blindly copying that. There could be things a Wine user might care about in there they might not know about. That completely nukes your Wine folder!

Author:  lidnariq [ Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

mv ~/.wine ~/WineBackup would be a safer recommendation, at the risk of filling up your homedir with random crap.

I wish I knew how to trigger wine to ask the "Do you want to install Gecko? How about Mono?" dialog, after you already had an install.

Author:  lazerbeat [ Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

mikejmoffitt wrote:
Whoa! Hold up there - while this probably worked for you, don't let anyone go blindly copying that. There could be things a Wine user might care about in there they might not know about. That completely nukes your Wine folder!


Sorry, that is a good point. I literally only use wine for a couple of NES utilities so it is very low risk for me. I updated the OP with that disclaimer.

Author:  Punch [ Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

So, I'm trying to figure out the Metasprite format the program outputs with no luck. Could someone please explain to me how it is formatted, and why it is a huge file?

Author:  thefox [ Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

Punch wrote:
So, I'm trying to figure out the Metasprite format the program outputs with no luck. Could someone please explain to me how it is formatted, and why it is a huge file?

My quick notes from a while back:
myself wrote:
msp file format:

originX: byte
originY: byte

after this comes 256 metasprite definitions. each metasprite definition takes 256 bytes
so the total size of the file is 256*256+2 =~ 64KB

yCoord: .byte (note: subtract origin to get the value shown in NST)
tile: .byte
attribs: .byte
xCoord: .byte

if the yCoord is $FF, the sprite is not visible.

Author:  tsu [ Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

I'm requesting a feature for Nes Screen Tool:
At the very bottom left of the screen, under the nametable, where it shows the ppu address offset. Could you please make the offset clickable, so the base nametable becomes adjusted? So it can show $4xx/$8xx/$cxx too?
Iknow it's fairly easy to calculate the differance mentally, but it's slowing me down when I have to remember 4 different numbers ( base high byte, low byte, tile number, run length count of tile if sequential.
I was about to take a peek in the source code to see if I could hack it in; but my c is rusty.

Author:  lazerbeat [ Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:12 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

I adore NESst, using it daily at the moment! Would a "clear nametable" function like the "clear" function for the .chr files be possible?

Author:  nesrocks [ Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:44 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

This tool is wonderful. But saving CHR can be confusing if one doesn't pay a lot of attention and it looks like a bug, although it isn't. It's more of a usability issue. I loaded two 4kb CHR to each bank, and I selected the "Save CHR" function, but it automatically had 4kb selected as file size. It is very easy to miss that you can change to 8kb. Why doesn't it automatically select the appropriate size?

Author:  Pokun [ Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

I just keep the two 4 kB CHR files separate in my project. One for each pattern table.

Author:  rainwarrior [ Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:08 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

lazerbeat wrote:
I adore NESst, using it daily at the moment! Would a "clear nametable" function like the "clear" function for the .chr files be possible?

Select tile to clear with, hold shift, select whole screen, press CTRL+F to fill selection.

Author:  darryl.revok [ Sun May 29, 2016 3:11 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

I've been wondering this for a while, so I'm just going to ask, how feasible would it be to add zoom functionality to the NES Screen Tool Metasprite tool.

I don't know if there's something different about my setup or what, but I don't see how one could do pixel perfect placement of tiles at pixel resolution.

Author:  thefox [ Sun May 29, 2016 3:31 am ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

darryl.revok wrote:
I've been wondering this for a while, so I'm just going to ask, how feasible would it be to add zoom functionality to the NES Screen Tool Metasprite tool.

Yeah, that would be nice. For the time being, you can use Windows Magnifier to work around the issue.

Author:  rainwarrior [ Sun May 29, 2016 1:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: NES Screen Tool

thefox wrote:
Windows Magnifier

I forgot that this exists!!! Thanks for the reminder. I haven't used this thing in years, but i often find myself squinting close to the screen because I want to count pixels.

Page 13 of 18 All times are UTC - 7 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/