I want to learn to draw

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

thefox

I want to learn to draw

Post by thefox » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:43 am

I want to learn to draw. Anybody know any good resources for that online? What about books? This may not be the best forum to ask but I guess there's no harm in trying. :)

http://www.learn-to-draw.com/ seems to have some decent tutorials for the basic stuff, but most other stuff was very specific stuff like "how to draw a cat". I'm looking for a more systematic approach.

EDIT: Let me be more specific, I want to learn to draw in a cartoonish style mostly.

miau

Post by miau » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:26 am

There are a bunch of useful resources (not just for pixel artists) here: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation ... pic=3467.0

They may be helpful on your way, but I'm not sure if they can provide you with the systematic approach you are looking for.

Anyway, I was thinking of assembling a collection of useful links to maybe put in a sticky for this forum, but the thread linked above really erases the need for such a thing.

Kasumi

Post by Kasumi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:56 pm

Fun with a Pencil by Andrew Loomis is a good foundational book. It focuses on shape which lends itself to a cartoony style.

The Vilppu Drawing Manual is also a good book.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:53 am

Drawing cats etc first is probably a good way to get a "Feel" for drawing. Then at some point you can apply what you learned to something new.

thefox

Post by thefox » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Thanks guys. I have some browsing to do.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi

clueless

Post by clueless » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Ian A

Post by Ian A » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:17 pm

There's an animation book by Preston Blair usually called "Animation" that's readily available that teaches a good cartoony style. You can get it free online here if you can't find a local copy.

Also, the dude who made Ren & Stimpy has online lessons at his blog.

The egg face part of the book is really handy, plus you can use the egg face to practice shading, which I strongly recommend.

Drag

Post by Drag » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:27 pm

Ian A wrote:Also, the dude who made Ren & Stimpy has online lessons at his blog.
Thanks, I just lost 2 hours to this. :D Really fascinating read!

yesyesyall

Post by yesyesyall » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:54 am

jon kricfalusi is a genius

Celius

Post by Celius » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Believe it or not, I really think that tracing images is a great way to learn how to draw. I think that's where I got a lot of my drawing ability from when I was really young.

I've never really learned a lot from instructional books; most of it just comes from practice, and a real desire to draw or paint. I picked painting up immediately simply because I wanted to do it. It also helps if you know an artist who you can ask to comment on your work. My sister is one of the best artists I know, and I show her my work a lot of the time to get her feedback. It really helps in the long run when all of those little tips and pointers you get add up.