MMO for NES

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

MMO for NES

Post by tepples »

I've got Orteil's OK to make a port of this browser game my next project after my compo entry.

Cursors animated by rewriting 4 tiles of CHR RAM. Click the CPS to buy things that will click the cookie for you.

"Payoff time" is one of the few places I'll have to actually use floating point division, where the rest of the game can get away with addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

Flashing icons in the corner alert the player to interesting things on another screen. Click the cookie count to return to the Big Cookie screen and find a golden cookie waiting.

I figured that someone would express disbelief about the proportional font even before I started a thread on the Cookie Clicker board about the port:
diamond655 wrote:You are gonna have to really tone down the graphics on the cookie, words, etc. until they look 8-bit!
diamond655 wrote:This seems amazing, if you tone down the graphics. Remember, NES games are low quality mostly!
On the other hand, someone else recognized the plausibility:
Cookiewoodstock wrote:I also really enjoy the details in this image. Sprites of the NES can only have 3 colors, something shown here. They are also all made of 8x8 tiles, and you can fit all of these with no issues in that.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Re: Cookie Clicker

Post by Jarhmander »

Really impressive graphics with a nice finish, it actually looks like SNES graphics!

So that's your game with a "currency" that goes to septillions? ;) It puzzled me as I couldn't imagine why one would have to go to such astronomical quantities in a game, but for the Cookie Clicker game... it makes perfect sense.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
thefox

Post by thefox »

Nice graphics. Variable-width font is always nice.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Looks good! It's funny when people think they know more about NES limiations than you do...
Drag

Post by Drag »

It bothers me when people say you need to artificially crappify the graphics because "nes games are supposed to look crappy". :\

This has a wonderful visual presentation, so good work on that. :D
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Damn you, tepples! I had never heard of this game before, and now here I am, making 41.000 cookies per second... Does it ever end?
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

tokumaru wrote:Does it ever end?
Oh dear. "Yes", in the sense that eventually there's nothing new to discover. Otherwise ... not really.

I got sucked in several months ago, and after playing for about ... 5 hours? got to a point where there was a long lull between different ... uh, chapters? ... of the game, and got bored then. I assume Orteil's rebalanced it since then.

Anyway, your mockups look fantastic, tepples!
Movax12

Post by Movax12 »

I didn't know about this either. Very pointless but somehow I still haven't closed it. http://i.imgur.com/RONMTBQ.jpg
Drag

Post by Drag »

I dunno, I got bored with the occult grandma nonsense. Honestly, I'd like a system where you have a map, and you have to strategically place your factories and other things in your "world" in order to maximize your cookies. As it stands right now, it's just a game about waiting, with very little else to think about, and although it's addictive to want to make your numbers bigger, it's really boring.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

The pointlessness is part of its appeal, though. Making gameplay more interesting a fine line to tread with this game.
Drag

Post by Drag »

Oh, I suppose that's why I didn't get the point. :D
3gengames
Formerly 65024U

Post by 3gengames »

I've been playing for 3 hours on that game now instead of programming this csv website parsing+generating tool.

Ruined my night full of programming stuff needing done. 11/10. I'm at over 1.2 Million cookies per second. :P
tepples

Post by tepples »

Sometime in September, while I was first working on my compo entry, I thought "Whatever happened to Cow Clicker"? Several minutes later I discovered Cookie Clicker and I was clicking cookies and reading the wiki and figuring out what the heck the Grandmapocalypse was supposed to be. At the time, it was just red cookies instead of golden cookies; now it's also cookie-multiplying leeches.

Drag: If waiting in order to be able to build something is boring, then SimCity is likewise boring because you have to wait for tax time.

3gengames: The same thing happened to me while making my own compo entry. Perhaps I'm just sharing the misery.
DoNotWant

Post by DoNotWant »

Great graphics and really nice font!
Didn't know about this game until now. 16.353.993.196 CpS at the moment. Thanks a lot! X_X
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

Man, I wish I knew how to program NES games, then I could make a port based on... that one game where one of the characters is some goat lady called Toriel. Graphics seem simple enough to work on an NES.

Regardless, good luck with the project. And speaking of "dumbing down graphics to look like an NES", it still baffles me that there are people out there who think NES sprites could show four colors PLUS transparency. Some even say the NES is only capable of showing 16 colors on screen, though given how often colors have to be shared to avoid glaring attribute conflicts, it might be sorta right.