The game formerly known as Pong 198x

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Myask

Re: The game formerly known as Pong 198x

Post by Myask »

So it is, as "10NES".

...and then we have a voice sample of "CIC"[/psych] play when someone scores an unanswered game...

NES Advantage is also taken, by the controller. NES-LOVE might give the wrong impression. Ping might be a little too computer-y, but references Pong while being a common-use word and thus usually outside the domain of copyright/trademark...but might cause confusion if the ENIO ever really caught on. Other tennis scores don't exactly hit 198x, but have a similar vibe in 15-xx, 30-xx, 40-xx.

Remarks (1.1 played)
Goal 2 doesn't seem to trigger if you let a point through.

Occasionally one of the sparkles is not erased for a second or two after it gets left behind.

On goal 2 I got the ball stuck on the bottom boundary, such that an infinite rally along the line started(pictured). It seemed to happen when the ball hit the paddle at the same time it hit the edge of the screen. None of the pixels I could set my paddle on seemed to be able to break it. This, of course, made it perfectly clear that Goal 2 was not going to trigger. (Perhaps if I'd left it for an extra 256 hits?)

I wasn't able to score any points against the computer, though I haven't got mednafen set up in a performance-friendly way.

For the 10-volley challenges, you might want to change the goal to 7 or 8 hits by the player (so 14-15 hits total) and have the hit sound go up through the scale. Some manner of sound or fanfare for achieving a Goal might be desirable, particularly in conjunction with this. This suggestion is primarily because the two sounds that do play get repetitive.
Attachments
linetrap.png
linetrap.png (974 Bytes) Viewed 1945 times
DrDementia

Re: The game formerly known as Pong 198x

Post by DrDementia »

Myask wrote: Remarks (1.1 played)
Goal 2 doesn't seem to trigger if you let a point through.
Couldn't replicate that bug? I might have fixed it.
Myask wrote: Occasionally one of the sparkles is not erased for a second or two after it gets left behind.
Noticed that, Not really worried about it. Is it really annoying?
Myask wrote: On goal 2 I got the ball stuck on the bottom boundary, such that an infinite rally along the line started(pictured). It seemed to happen when the ball hit the paddle at the same time it hit the edge of the screen. None of the pixels I could set my paddle on seemed to be able to break it. This, of course, made it perfectly clear that Goal 2 was not going to trigger. (Perhaps if I'd left it for an extra 256 hits?)
This bug I do want to fix, it happens at the top and bottom sometimes, not sure what's causing yet.
Myask wrote: For the 10-volley challenges, you might want to change the goal to 7 or 8 hits by the player (so 14-15 hits total) and have the hit sound go up through the scale. Some manner of sound or fanfare for achieving a Goal might be desirable, particularly in conjunction with this. This suggestion is primarily because the two sounds that do play get repetitive.
Something like this is possible but would take more space/code. I did use a different sounds for each paddle. What's really annoying is trying to code with the game running in the background :)

I made some changes, and have pretty much used up all the PRG space.(actually went over a few times). Getting close to finishing this up I think. I want to work on something better. At some point I want to release the src.

changes:
New title screen and name
changed some palletes (everything was green) it looks better now
2P now does the challenges if you pick 2 players.
fixed 2p controls, they function like the 1P.
fixed angles on ai and 2P paddle.
lowered difficulty on the scoring challenges.
Secret button combo adjusts the ball speed. (makes it faster but breaks a few of the challenges)

todo:
fix infinite volley bug
fix 2p paddle sound bug (happens on some collisions, newly introduced :P)
fix button combo

Protip:
Oh almost forgot. If you hold right or left when you press up or down. You can get really slow precise paddle movements.
Attachments
PingPongChallenge_v1.0.zip
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 178 times