Flappy Bird port

A place where you can keep others updated about your NES-related projects through screenshots, videos or information in general.

Moderator: Moderators

Nioreh

Flappy Bird port

Post by Nioreh »

I Had some spare time and wanted a break from my bigger project. So here is my NES port of Flappy Bird:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wts3twej93bh7 ... y.nes?dl=1

Yeah, no fancy parallax bg, I know. :) But it plays OK I think, and looks good anyway.

I hope the dropbox link works. Please let me know if you find any big bugs. It will probably start to bug if you manage to survive for like 20 minutes due to integer overflows, but not sure if anyone has the patience to get there :)

Have fun!

Edit: Video proving it's possible :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyZ2YJpOuaI
Last edited by Nioreh on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Re: Flappy Bird port

Post by tepples »

flappy.nes: So I'm this mole, and I'm supposed to push the blue rock onto the blue receptor, right?

Oh wait, your flappy game.

So I tried it. There appeared to be a bit more boost on each flap than in the original or Splashy Fish, making it a bit harder to proceed through each gap. Otherwise, good start. If you tweak the physics and reskin it to use original graphics rather than Dong Nguyen's graphics, I'll consider including it in the next Action 53 multicart.
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

Nah, it's supposed to be hard :) I might do an "easy version" for the not so hardcore flappy players.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Granted, but I think you made it harder than Flappy Bird. Or perhaps the difference between Android input latency and NES input latency is screwing me up. I'd be inclined to trust Frank Noschese's analysis using Logger Pro, where 64 pixels = 1 m.
freem

Post by freem »

The first press to start the game should also launch the bird into the air; having to double tap a button to properly start feels weird. The falling speed also feels too fast, but that could just be me. Overall though, this is a pretty good port.
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

OK. I never played the official version so it might be off. I based it loosely on what felt like http://flapmmo.com/ but made it look more like the original.

Here is a slightly tweaked version. I don't want to make it too easy :) :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mfyiu1a5h9x6 ... y.nes?dl=1
thefox

Post by thefox »

Nice job. I don't mind the lack of parallax background at all.

By the way, there are (at least) two versions of the official Flappy Bird out there. The old one was harder, the one that came after that was made easier, changed some of the graphics and added a night mode.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Maybe you should add a easy and hard mode, so before you push START you can push SELECT to select the easy and hard mode.

I think a lot of computer games are too easy and that is why I think you should add a harder mode too.
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)
OneCrudeDude

Post by OneCrudeDude »

This is amazing, I always love to see NES ports! While it looks fine without the parallax scrolling, I think you could make this port as feature packed as possible, such as having the "Game Over" and related boxes appear (with backgrounds, of course) as well as the night mode that Fox mentioned. The first version felt too hard, you could flap in such a great way that you had a slim chance of actually making it through the pipes, the easier version feels better. And much like many official NES ports back in the day, the game could be changed ever so slightly to offer the best game possible.
dmux

Post by dmux »

Nice work! :beer:
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

Good work, I like it. For physics did you redraw every frame in different rotations or did some realtime rotation trick I don't know about? Also could you add saving of highscore (via battery save) and some music (aside of launch tune)?
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

darkhog wrote:Good work, I like it. For physics did you redraw every frame in different rotations or did some realtime rotation trick I don't know about? Also could you add saving of highscore (via battery save) and some music (aside of launch tune)?
The frames are re-drawn in different rotations. No fancy realtime stuff :)

I don't think I will be updating this much. It was more a quick project/proof of concept since it is an unofficial port. But who knows.
darkhog

Post by darkhog »

How about releasing sources then, so other people can pickup it?
VEG

Post by VEG »

Good port, thank you. Looks very nice :)
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

Haha, it looks like someone actually wrote a lua script to reach 9999 :) As I suspected, there are some integer overflows on higher scores, so the pipes render incorrectly. I just assumed no one would ever reach that type of score.

http://tasvideos.org/4641S.html