It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:30 pm 

tepples wrote:
Quote:
You know what you did and are trying to twist it. Just stop. Period.

This sort of tone would drive off even legitimate contributors.

As I said in my previous to last post, I would not have had an issue if he would have just been honest in the first place:

ShaneM wrote:
It would have been fine if you were like: "Hey ShaneM, I found that the 'UnusedAttributeData' fixes the color of the coin. I'm not sure it's broken as data EXISTS for it."

The fact that this was no accident and that he/she tried to play me pissed me off, which is a fine reason to be upset.

I have no problems with honest mistakes and even someone pointing original code to me. I would be fine playing SMB1 through netplay with anyone who is decent and has honest motives.

Anyone is welcome to share anything with me as long as they are honest and don't treat me like I was born yesterday like how Hamtaro126 did.

I'm moderator elsewhere on another forum where he/she is, so I know the type of person I'm dealing with and the type of posts he/she makes. (Though that does not concern this forum.)

This is all behind me. Anyway, I found something new I can do with the free space. Will post it soon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:43 pm 

ShaneM wrote:
[long string of vitriol removed because there's no point in keeping it]
Woah, woah, wait a moment.

Someone's skin is SUPER thin. Take a moment to take a deep breath and stop biting people's heads off.

You're not doing yourself any favors with the way you've been acting here. Surely you've heard the aphorisms about "catching more flies with honey than with vinegar".

If someone says it's an accident, it's almost always better to take them at their word. It's not worth pissing off everyone else who's watching your Internet Drama.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:09 pm 

Flies prefer balsamic vinegar but that's beside the point.

If I were accused of plagiarism, and it actually was an accident, what would be sufficient to exonerate me in your mind? This is the sort of faux pas that makes me go into hiding for two weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:48 am 

Okay. Few things I did with the free bytes that I had left from the optimized code (bank $00 in both SMB1 and SMB2J, with the exception of #2 & 3.1 being in bank $02):

1) Fixed an SFX glitch.

2) Fixed the coin on the status bar during Victory Mode (credit for this goes to Nintendo's programmers, who had unused data present which fixes the issue)

3.1) This is limited to SMB1 on Side A: Added more Bloopers to 9-3 to give it an even more authentic feel of FDS's Minus World (-3)

3.2) This is for both SMB1 and SMB2J: Instead of using sunset palettes for Bonuses, I decided to revert them to original night and day ones (I left stages like 4-3 [SMB1] and 8-2 end, 8-3 & A-3 [SMB2J] with sunset palettes). This has another effect; it fixes the oversight by Nintendo where they left 2-1 and C-1's Bonus as day in the original SMB2J (http://nesmaps.com/maps/SuperMarioBrothers2j/SuperMarioBros2jMap2-1.html and http://nesmaps.com/maps/SuperMarioBrothers2j/SuperMarioBros2jMapC-1.html). They now have their proper night palettes and the day ones have theirs. Nintendo either A) chose to make them all day because of lack of room or B) Forgot them.

I've worked a long 40 hour week and I'm tired. So I'm releasing this in confidence that it is glitch free. Tomorrow is my day off. I plan on resting, so I will thoroughly test this by Monday. I'm releasing this early by my goodness and because I'm confident that I did everything right. --ShaneM

SMB2J original ROM (65,000 bytes) CRC16 = BA55
My hacked SMB game CRC16 = 1E8C

Attachments:
SMB2f_002.png
SMB2f_002.png [ 4.4 KiB | Viewed 2304 times ]
SMB2f_001.png
SMB2f_001.png [ 5.89 KiB | Viewed 2304 times ]
SMB2_002.png
SMB2_002.png [ 1.84 KiB | Viewed 2304 times ]

Last edited by ShaneM on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:15 pm 

I have fully tested this build today and it is indeed 100% stable. (I used my day off to test. :P ) I also fixed one last thing, on 8-4 on both SMB1 and SMB2J, the palettes were off on the water segments. This is due to incorrect data on my part. This has now been corrected. (Also, the map I linked to of C-1 was missing the Bonus, so here is a better one: http://themushroomkingdom.net/maps/smb2j/C-1)

(I added pics of the confirmed 9-3 working. It shows how closely I adhered to Minus World -3 of the original FDS SMB1. So you all can be confident that this is a fully stable build of BOTH games. All I really did was use more Bloopers this time around. ;) )

My hacked SMB game CRC16 = B17C

Attachments:
Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 Plus (Japan)_013.png
Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 Plus (Japan)_013.png [ 2.36 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]
Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 Plus (Japan)_012.png
Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 Plus (Japan)_012.png [ 3.31 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]
Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 Plus (Japan)_011.png
Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 Plus (Japan)_011.png [ 2.93 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]

Last edited by ShaneM on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:41 pm 

You're fixing up mario brothers eh? It appears you haven't fixed a huge bug readily apparent in those pictures you posted! The squids don't collide with the level. This is a really bad immersion breaking bug that only an assembly master like yourself could possibly fix! Good luck can't wait to see more progress keep up the hard work :)!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:41 pm 

Light-Dark wrote:
The squids don't collide with the level. This is a really bad immersion breaking bug that only an assembly master like yourself could possibly fix!!

What exactly is the issue? I already fixed a collision issue with Bloopers that I found a fix for in the EU version. (I've also corrected Tepples and he credited me, here: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=103473#p103894).

If you mean that the Bloopers "go through" the blocks, then that is how it is supposed to be. They have higher "z-order" than the blocks. (Though this game really doesn't have z-order per se except for the routine "SpriteShuffler:".) I could render collision between them and non-OAM objects, such as blocks, ground etc., but no version makes it this way. Next to mine, the GBC Deluxe version is the next accurate one and on the Super Players mode they still don't render it that way.

If I misunderstood you then please clarify. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:01 pm 

ShaneM wrote:
Light-Dark wrote:
The squids don't collide with the level. This is a really bad immersion breaking bug that only an assembly master like yourself could possibly fix!!

What exactly is the issue? I already fixed a collision issue with Bloopers that I found a fix for in the EU version. (I've also corrected Tepples and he credited me, here: http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=103473#p103894).

If you mean that the Bloopers "go through" the blocks, then that is how it is supposed to be. They have higher "z-order" than the blocks. (Though this game really doesn't have z-order per se except for the routine "SpriteShuffler:".) I could render collision between them and non-OAM objects, such as blocks, ground etc., but no version makes it this way. Next to mine, the GBC Deluxe version is the next accurate one and on the Super Players mode they still don't render it that way.

If I misunderstood you then please clarify. Thanks.

No the squids don't supposed to go through block, that is BAD immersion breaking bug that needs to be fixed. WHY WON'T YOU FIX???? The squid MUST respect block collide or my immersion is BROKE! If you don't fix this then what is point of this patch?? if no squid fix then GARBAGE!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:56 pm 

Light-Dark wrote:
No the squids don't supposed to go through block, that is BAD immersion breaking bug that needs to be fixed. WHY WON'T YOU FIX???? The squid MUST respect block collide or my immersion is BROKE! If you don't fix this then what is point of this patch?? if no squid fix then GARBAGE!

The only things that are "broken" here are manners and good sentence structure. I don't take orders, only requests. So take a chill pill. 8-) :beer:

@Everyone
LeviathanMist (a member over at another forum who tried my hack) found a glitch with demo data on SMB1 (Side A). Since physics in my SMB1 are that of SMB2J, the demo action is off in timing. Also, when Hard Mode is initiated (after getting 8 stars) the demo would end early due to faster enemy movement. So what I did was fixed it. I rerecorded new demo data using SMB Utility 1.08 (the newest one, since older ones were inaccurate with demo recording/timing...yep, this one supports joypads, too to ease recording/testing and yep it was recently translated into English, too: http://tinyurl.com/8564ztk)

Here is the new build/fix.

My hacked SMB game CRC16 = 5EAE

Last edited by ShaneM on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:17 pm 

Has it bothered anyone else that there is no collision between Piranha Plants and kicked Shells? Should I add collision between them?

EDIT: Should I also add collision between Piranha Plants and other enemies???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 am 

In which levels of SMB1 and SMB2J does this come up?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:25 am 

tepples wrote:
In which levels of SMB1 and SMB2J does this come up?

Well, one I can think of is 5-1 of SMB2J. After the midpoint there is an opportunity to get 5 lives in total if the shell would have made collision with the Piranhas. But because there isn't any, it only accumulates a total of up to two. I also find it weird that enemies such as Goombas create a static effect where them and the Piranhas blink upon contact when the Goombas go through them.

Another level I can think of is 8-1 of SMB2J (Buzzy Beetle not colliding with an Upside Down Piranha midway, whether moving or stunned and then kicked). I'm sure there's more, just not off the top of my head. (I can look at NESmaps.com to find all.)

EDIT: I just took a quick look and 4-1 in both games (Spiny causing static due to no collision when they go through Piranhas), 4-2 of SMB2J (shell at the end), 5-2 has both issues with the Red Troopa at the beginning and the potential kicked shell midway. Will look at SMB1 for levels, later.

EDIT2: I still have to create a routine for collision if you all think it's a good idea, but SMB3 onward has collision and every known game after that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:23 pm 

I did it. I created collision between kicked shell and Piranha Plants (even Upside Down ones). I left enemy touch collision alone because it was causing issues. But if anybody wants to know the fix, let me know and I'll PM you a build with it.

I will post my new build on Friday. My damn job has me burnt out working 40 long hard hours this week. Will post then.

Here is a pic for now.

Attachments:
Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 SRAM Plus (Japan) - Copy_001.png
Super Mario Bros. 1 & 2 SRAM Plus (Japan) - Copy_001.png [ 3.83 KiB | Viewed 2081 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:18 pm 

Here it is, with Piranha Plant to Shell collision. No other changes have been made. I am still open to suggestions or issues concerning this game.

My hacked SMB game CRC16 = CB03

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:56 pm 

I've further fixed collision bug with Piranha Plants as well as enemy code and enemy loading code.

1.) Fixed Piranhas to have collision when touching enemies instead of being limited to shell collision.

2.) Fixed bug with Piranha Plants and Upside Down Piranha Plants where they wouldn't load on many occasions. This is another Nintendo original glitch and has NOTHING to do with too many enemies being on the screen at once. Stages where this fix is most noticeable (but not limited to) are 5-1 (SMB1), 6-2 (SMB1), 8-1 (SMB2J), D-2 (SMB2J) etc.

3.) Turns out there are actually 3 Goombas on 1-1 (SMB2J) where one never ever previously loaded (under any circumstances). This has now been corrected. Other enemy issues have been resolved, too.

4.) I made a change to 3-1 where the end Red Koopa Troopas were previously on top of Piranha pipes. Since I added Piranha collision they would get caught in a loop. So I moved them a little after the pipes, into a "Nintendo-logical" place.

This is really D-2. I just loaded it though A-1 to test it. It shows off shell to Upside Down Piranha collision. Points have been awarded for defeating them, too.

Me showing off my newly-added enemy-to-Piranha collision.

All the enemies now load since I optimized the enemy slot buffer glitch. Here is 8-1 of SMB2J with the Upside Down Piranha Plant loading successfully for the first time!!! (Along with all enemies properly loading.)

This is really one of the most comprehensive SMB hacks and most awesome *FDS* ported hack of this game. The fixes in this game are superior to any other official remake of this game including the GBC/SNES versions. This is how this is going to go down: The final deadline for this finished product is 10/12/14 for users to submit their suggestions on this game. After that, this will be a finished product. As of now, I've got nothing I can think of to make this game more sublime. (I can't add water/lava animation as I don't have enough free CHR RAM.)

My hacked SMB game CRC16 = F7E4

-ShaneM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next