It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:41 am 

I've invented a new enemy to the SMB2J portion of my game. It is only found on World 9 (Fantasy World). I'd like some feedback. What do you all think? I call it Piranha Trio. It's a 3-headed Piranha Plant...I got the idea from Dugtrio.

This'll be in the new build when it's ready.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:05 am 

I think it looks cool.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:52 am 

Let's see what my Furby has to say about it: Dah Goo Doh Lee Oh!

(Translation: Clever way to reuse sprite tiles.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:43 pm 

Man, that takes me back. Didn't you make animutations yourself, or am I confusing you for another NESDever?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:49 pm 

Dwedit made Miko Miko Nurse. Andrew Kepple made French Erotic Film. I never owned a copy of Adobe Flash.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:38 am 

tepples wrote:
Dwedit made Miko Miko Nurse.

Dwedit made a whole bunch of 'em, including "Suzukisan", the source of his avatar (and forum signature).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:28 pm 

It'll be ready soon. I made use of them in SMB1 on Side A, too. I've also "created" an enemy for 4-4 on SMB2J, since the Firebar never previously loaded. I call it a Fuller Bar. It's really two Firebars. One going clockwise while the other one counter-clockwise. It's twice the speed of a regular Firebar and compensates for the original Firebar that never loaded.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:41 am 

The deadline for users submitting ideas on how to improve this as a finished product has ended. The final release is due anytime between now and 10/20/14. So stay tuned. --ShaneM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:04 am 

Here is the newest and final version. I have made the following changes:

1) Further fixed collision errors with Piranha Plants.

2) Fixed "missing" enemies on many stages.

3) Added the newest enemy Piranha Trio to both SMB1 and SMB2J.

4) Added 720 (or Fuller Bar) to SMB2J's 4-4.

5) Created a second palette for a more authentic feel.

Here, I compare my two palette files to the original. You can choose whichever one floats your boat:

Original unmodified colors

AV-Famicom quality (Custom2.pal)

Sublime colors (further improved; Custom.pal)

Some pics of Piranha Trio in my SMB1:

SMB2J original ROM (65,000 bytes) CRC16 = BA55
My hacked SMB game CRC16 = 32A3

Last edited by ShaneM on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:38 pm 

Okay, I have fixed two more Nintendo original glitches that I was unaware of.

1) Lakitu was originally 8 pixels too low when spawning for the first time. This has to do with residual data being used. This has now been fixed. I noticed this when I was looking at an SNES Super Mario Allstars guide by Nintendo Power. In it, they compared the FDS version 4-1 with the SNES version and I noticed that SNES fixed it. (This fix has been applied to both my SMB1 and SMB2J.)

Code:
CheckpointEnemyID:
        lda Enemy_ID,x
        cmp #$15                     ;this is the issue. Change this to cmp #$11. $15 is Bowser's ;Flame. $11 is for Lakitu (the issue), $12 is for Spiny (never spawns without Lakitu throwing it) and ;$14 is Cheep-Cheep frenzy. ($13 is an unused enemy ID slot.) I think this set to $15 is residual ;because it has no other effect but lowering the enemy based on ID by 8 pixels. Also, it has the ;affect of setting mask offscreen enemies to player collision bits. This is residual as it does not ;affect Lakitu, Spiny or Cheep-Cheep frenzies. There is an abundant amount of residual Cheep-Cheep ;code. Maybe this was intended for another purpose that never was fully developed
        bcs InitEnemyRoutines       
        tay                         
        lda Enemy_Y_Position,x
        adc #$08    ;add eight pixels to what will eventually be the vertical coordinate.
        sta Enemy_Y_Position,x   
        lda #$01
        sta EnemyOffscrBitsMasked,x 
        tya   ;get original enemy ID back to A         

2) I fixed this unknowingly. I didn't even know it existed. But it could have possibly been corrected when I moved the JSR for the Spiny bounding box after the enemy identifier and TYA (a few months ago); I like when things are fixed unknowingly ^^: http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Super_Mario_Bros._glitches#Red_Shell_Out_of_Thin_Air

I will release this when I get my fuckin' paycheck tomorrow. The issue is, my hex editor, Hex Editor Neo costs $120 USD and I need to wait to add the binary checksums to my FDS header (though the assembly work is finished on these fixes). I lost my other product key when I sold my old laptop so I need to pay for another one.

--ShaneM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:39 pm 

Get it here. --ShaneM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:53 pm 

Okay. In this build, I finally get around to correcting SMB1's header to make it, well...reflect SMB1. Remember, this was originally a hack of SMB2J and so I initially overlooked giving this game its correct FDS header (both internal and external ones).

Another issue that was corrected is on Side B's SMB2J, on 2-1 the enemy data was broken for the Coin heaven bonus. This has now been corrected. It seems that when I added a page to either 1-1 or 4-1, I forgot to add +$04 to the pointer address for the bonus. I really think this is the final build as I fixed every glitch known to the game (including one that I accidentally made with this enemy pointer; something I rarely do :P).

I've also edited the included SMB guidebook to reflect SMB1's header. In addition, I've corrected the primary custom palette file. For the second one, I've edited two blues to better reflect the AV Famicom.

SMB2J original ROM (65,000 bytes) CRC16 = BA55
My hacked SMB game CRC16 = 32A3

--ShaneM

Last edited by ShaneM on Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:31 pm 

I recently got my hands on not 1 but 3 different dumps of the Wii special version of SMB1 with the 25 replacing the ? Block. It is an ultra rare version of the game with two different Japanese versions and one European version. My question is, should I release a special version of my games with only Side A (SMB1) containing this sprite? I've already ripped the sprite straight from one of my Japanese dumps of this rare edition and added it to my FDS version though YY-CHR (sprite editor). Would you all like a special build with this rarity? (More info found, here: http://themushroomkingdom.net/games/smb25ae and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvvnOeFxcU4

Here are some shots of my FDS version with the blocks ripped straight from one of my Wii dumps. --ShaneM

EDIT: Oh yeah, I'm also going to disassemble one of my Japanese versions of this game and post the results of differences in the General Topic thread I made with VC differences, soon.

Attachments:
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_004.png
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_004.png [ 3.95 KiB | Viewed 2419 times ]
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_003.png
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_003.png [ 3.65 KiB | Viewed 2420 times ]
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_002.png
Super Mario Bros. 1&2 SRAM Plus (Japan)_002.png [ 3.74 KiB | Viewed 2420 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:26 pm 

I've been playing the 17th Final version of this FDS hack for less than 2 minutes, and there's already two bugs that come to mind.

- On 1-1, when you hit the second mushroom out of the box, the first one magically vanishes.
    - Mushrooms do not collide with any enemies (yet you added collision for everything else, making this unexpected behaviour)

I also wished to play previous versions of your hack (mainly the first two 'final' versions before the addition of collision 'fixes'. They are not linked, could you please provide a comprehensive list of previous versions of this hack?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:48 pm 

Stealthii wrote:
I've been playing the 17th Final version of this FDS hack for less than 2 minutes, and there's already two bugs that come to mind.

- On 1-1, when you hit the second mushroom out of the box, the first one magically vanishes.
    - Mushrooms do not collide with any enemies (yet you added collision for everything else, making this unexpected behaviour)

I also wished to play previous versions of your hack (mainly the first two 'final' versions before the addition of collision 'fixes'. They are not linked, could you please provide a comprehensive list of previous versions of this hack?

1) Yes. That is no glitch. Two mushrooms/powerups cannot be on the screen at the same time. The NES has OAM limitations. This was carried all the way onto SMB3. Even later versions follow this trend.

2) Why would powerups collide with enemies? In what game/games do they do that?

3) I may have previous builds available. I'll have to see what I have saved in Mediafire. When I got my new laptop last month, I only carried over necessary files. The same goes for people wanting earlier builds of my Pokemon green (can be found in the GB section on here).

@Everyone: Surprise

--ShaneM

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next